Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Joerg Erdmenger <jo...@woerd.com> on 2004/05/06 13:30:21 UTC

James as a backend to programmaticaly send mail

Hi,

I'm currently investigating ways to send mail and deal with bounces properly.
(Don't worry, I'm not trying to create the ultimate SPAM toy).
So I have a webapplication which manages a closed user group and maintenance
and templating of content. Now I want to send out that content to the
potentially large group of registered users and I thought maybe James would
be ideal for that Job. Now I found plenty of information to use James to
replace a different mailserver but none on how to use it as an email sending
tool. I mean I need to be able to talk to it, inserting new messages in its
queue programmatically. Then a Mailet could notify my application of bounces.
Is that possible? Is there some documentation that I've overlooked?

Thanks

Joerg

P.S.: I really don't built SPAM tools

Re: James as a backend to programmaticaly send mail

Posted by tobe <to...@swipnet.se>.
Joerg Erdmenger wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently investigating ways to send mail and deal with bounces properly.
>(Don't worry, I'm not trying to create the ultimate SPAM toy).
>So I have a webapplication which manages a closed user group and maintenance
>and templating of content. Now I want to send out that content to the
>potentially large group of registered users and I thought maybe James would
>be ideal for that Job. Now I found plenty of information to use James to
>replace a different mailserver but none on how to use it as an email sending
>tool. I mean I need to be able to talk to it, inserting new messages in its
>queue programmatically. Then a Mailet could notify my application of bounces.
>Is that possible? Is there some documentation that I've overlooked?
>
>Thanks
>
>Joerg
>
>P.S.: I really don't built SPAM tools

Hi,

Just send the mail to your james server with smtp and make sure it can
be identified and handled by the processing chain.

If you send the same content to all recipients, I would think that the
mailing-list mailets in james would work fine. There should be more info
about this in the wiki and the archives.

If not the same content, create a mailet that does what you need. (you
could probably base it on mailing-list functionality and just add your
extras).

/tobe