Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by hm...@ualr.edu on 2003/04/29 05:17:56 UTC

Jetspeed JSP forwarding problem

Hello all,
               We are using Jetspeed as platform for our Course Management System. We have defined roles like 'student' , 'teacher' etc.
Consider a scenario that teacher is teaching course 'AA' which student is registered for.

We have requirement such that the teacher is allowed to customize course homepage of course 'AA'.
But when the student who has taken course 'AA" logs in, we show him the list of courses he/she has registered for. Suppose he clicks on course 'AA" ,the same course home page should be shown [that teacher has designed] but in a read-only form and student should not be allowed to customize , close or remove any of those course modules. He can just use them as is.
Here are my questions

1. We have defined ShowCourseListPortlet that uses IFRAMEs and shows the JSP which lists the courses for the logged-in student. If I forward link to any other JSP from IFRAME, it displays the new page in the same area. I was looking for changing the student homepage to course homepage. Is it the right way to do it? If not what needs to be changed?

2. I am looking through forwarding concepts and trying to use them with forwards.xml but I am not familiar with page, pane differences. Sometimes, pane id is not the pane name but the number, which I need to know runtime.

3. Also for the JSPs, I am trying to run the demo portlets like Hello.jsp for JSPPortlet but I can not get it to work. It does not show any errors. In fact jetspeed.log says, the template hello.jsp exists in html folder under WEB-INF\templates\jsp\portlets\ but it does not display any information on the webpage.
I tried using the template.tld but in vein.

4. I am looking at options of how to allow teacher role of the system to customize the course homepages and not allow students of the same course to customize it. Any pointers are welcome.

5. Can we submit a portlet to itself or JSP or any other portlet by URL or name?

6. Please note that the courses get added dynamically in the system [in mysql table] so we need mechanism to get this done dynamically.

I am using Jetspeed 1.4 beta4 on windows and tomcat 5.01 alpha release with MySQL.

I would like as many inputs form you guys as possible.
Thanks
Hemant Joshi