Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Mevludin Blazevic <mb...@uni-koblenz.de> on 2021/09/24 18:09:39 UTC

Re: [ceph-users] Error while adding Ceph/RBD for Cloudstack/KVM: pool not found

Hi,

today I have found out that Ceph/RBD packages need to be installed on
the KVM machines. No further configuration (e.g. Keyring or Secret is
needed) is required. Moreover, librbd and librados where not up to date
to the pacific version as well. After the package installation, RBD pool
was found by Cloudstack and I can start using the storage.

Cheers

Mevludin

Am 24.09.2021 um 17:44 schrieb Anthony D'Atri:
> It might be that Cloudstack doesn’t know how to handle an EC RBD pool?  Given your pool listing, I’m assuming that you’re using EC for data and the spari-rbd pool is the replicated pool for metadata?
>
> Check out this thread from last year
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=users@cloudstack.apache.org&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+Cloudstack+%5C%2B+CEPH+and+Erasure+Coding%22&o=newest&f=1
>
> Have you done
> ceph osd pool application enable
>
> ceph osd pool application set
>
> to make the pool as RBD?
>

>> On Sep 23, 2021, at 3:08 AM, Mevludin Blazevic <mb...@uni-koblenz.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've tried to connect my Ceph cluster to Cloudstack/KVM via the Management-GUI using the RBD protocol, but I am getting the error that the rbd pool not exists, although I have created such a rbd pool, initialized it and created a user for the RBD pool. I have performed the steps described at https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/rbd/rbd-cloudstack/.
>>
>> I really do not know where I went wrong during the installation. As far as I know, no preliminary configuration is needed on the KVM machines. QEMU/KVM and libvirt installation was carried out while installing CloudStack. The secret-xml should be created after typing the information on the GUI but nothing happens. I am getting always the same error:
>>
>> 2021-09-23 11:53:57,737 ERROR [kvm.storage.LibvirtStorageAdaptor] (agentRequest-Handler-5:null) (logid:699ed00c) Failed to create RBD storage pool: org.libvirt.LibvirtException: failed to create the RBD IoCTX. Does the pool 'sparci-rbd' exist?: No such file or directory
>> 2021-09-23 11:53:57,738 ERROR [kvm.storage.LibvirtStorageAdaptor] (agentRequest-Handler-5:null) (logid:699ed00c) Failed to create the RBD storage pool, cleaning up the libvirt secret
>>
>> While filling out the information on the GUI, I have picked a monitor node which is documented under /etc/ceph/ceph.conf. Performing the ceph df command, you can see that the rbd pool really exists:
>>
>> --- POOLS ---
>> POOL                   ID  PGS  STORED  OBJECTS  ...
>> device_health_metrics   1    1  25 MiB      320  ...
>> sparci-ec               2   32     0 B        0  ...
>> sparci-rbd              3   32    19 B        1  ...
>>
>> Have I missed out some extra installation steps needed on the ceph machines?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mevludin
>>
>> --
>> Mevludin Blazevic