Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Renato <rs...@prolan.com.br> on 2002/02/15 07:49:44 UTC

Authentication

Hi...

I´ve got to provide access to some customers, so I want to use Apache´s
Authentication.
I followed the instructions about the .htaccess and htpasswd files and I
changed the access.conf file, but the server doesn´t require the
authentication.

Re: Authentication

Posted by "Kevin M. Shortt" <sh...@cgicafe.com>.
> Renato wrote:
> > I followed the instructions about the .htaccess and htpasswd files and I
> > changed the access.conf file, but the server doesn�t require the
> > authentication.
>
> There are a few things you need to do to get authorisation running - did
> you allow the .htaccess file to override the apache config? You do this
> with: (in httpd.conf)
>
> <Directory /dir/you/want/to/authorise>
>   AllowOverride all
> </Directory>
>
> but read the docs for this directive to understand what it does.

also an added reminder (to Owen's remarks),
any changes the conf files require a restart for apache
to make them in effect.

-k

Re: Authentication

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Renato wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I´ve got to provide access to some customers, so I want to use Apache´s
> Authentication.
> I followed the instructions about the .htaccess and htpasswd files and I
> changed the access.conf file, but the server doesn´t require the
> authentication.

There are a few things you need to do to get authorisation running - did
you allow the .htaccess file to override the apache config? You do this
with: (in httpd.conf)

<Directory /dir/you/want/to/authorise>
  AllowOverride all
</Directory>

but read the docs for this directive to understand what it does.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.