Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2003/07/09 06:37:21 UTC

Integrating alt.design

Fopdevs,

Anyone who would like to make a start on the integration of alt.design
can do two very great services.

Checkstyle cleanup.  This is a large an messy task in itself.  I have a
basic config for the 3.1.1 version of the Eclipse plugin in the
alt.design base directory.  I have just turned of the javadocs warnings,
and I intend to generate the docs that are currently defined and clean
them up before filling in the blanks.

Bringing the org.apache.fop.apps stuff up to 0.20.5.  This aspect was
frozen in alt.design at about 0.20.0, so it is grossly out of date.
Logging is still done, e.g., using MessageHandler.

Bringing apps up to date will greatly ease the integration process, and
can be done, I think, without majoe trauma.

The tag for alt.design is FOP_0-20-0_Alt-Design.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

Re: Integrating alt.design

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Victor Mote wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>

>>Anyone who would like to make a start on the integration of alt.design
>>can do two very great services.
>

> Since my main FOP purpose in life right now is to reduce (if possible) our
> lines of development from 3 to 1, this is of interest to me. However, I want
> to make sure that I understand what I am signing up for here.

You would be signing up to bring the startup and options of alt.design
(which is currently a much stripped down version of the branch point)
into line with HEAD.  Further, you could be fixing those things that
make Checkstyle complain.

None of this is crucial to progress on alt.design, but will ease
integration, whenever that happens, and to what extent it happens.

> It would seem
> foolish for me to invest time in alt design until there is some agreement
> about which portions of it will eventually be integrated. I am under the
> impression that I am waiting for a response from you to move that issue
> forward.

I was preparing a detailed response, but I realised that too much of
what I wanted to do was still vague, and that I needed to write some
code to put some flesh on my ideas.  First, though, I have to write a
solution for the "mixed expressions" involving percentages, then provide
the area tree context for their resolution.  There's a bit of work
there.  I will finish the reply to you shortly, though, as much as is
possible at the moment.

> I have high hopes that we can reconcile all of the design issues,
> get everyone on the same page, and start implementing them. I think it is
> important to resolve that before getting into the nitty-gritty.

I think they require nitty-gritty resolution.  It seems to me that one
gets to a certain point, and one has to make some ideas concrete in code.

> What can I
> do to help get the design philosophies reconciled?

Keep asking hard questions.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html

RE: Integrating alt.design

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Peter B. West wrote:

> Anyone who would like to make a start on the integration of alt.design
> can do two very great services.

Since my main FOP purpose in life right now is to reduce (if possible) our
lines of development from 3 to 1, this is of interest to me. However, I want
to make sure that I understand what I am signing up for here. It would seem
foolish for me to invest time in alt design until there is some agreement
about which portions of it will eventually be integrated. I am under the
impression that I am waiting for a response from you to move that issue
forward. I have high hopes that we can reconcile all of the design issues,
get everyone on the same page, and start implementing them. I think it is
important to resolve that before getting into the nitty-gritty. What can I
do to help get the design philosophies reconciled?

Victor Mote