Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2011/02/01 04:47:08 UTC

[VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

We need people to review the release candidate and to
test it on your projects, especially on different operating
systems and Java version. See testing hints below.

Download the release candidate and supporting files:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/temp/forrest-09-rc1/

For Windows get *.zip (md5sum c04600e8befeaf005d5e4b9d6c8034f9)
For UNIX get *.tar.gz (md5sum ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8)
Get the *.asc and *.md5 that match your chosen download.

Java 1.5 or later is required.

Testing and vote period concludes Monday 2011-02-07 at 22:00 UTC [2].
Anyone can test and vote, not just PMC members.
However only the PMC votes are binding [3].

When voting, quote the md5sum to ensure that we are all
using the correct final release candidate package. The votes
need to happen against the final source release package.

If we need to build another release candidate, due to
necessary changes to the code or documentation [1],
then we need to vote reagarding that package.

PMC members need to satisfy themselves that the actual
final release package meets the ASF principles.

During this week we do need to hear about both successes
and failures. Please report your operating system
and Java versions and Jetty/Tomcat versions.

So we have approximately 6 days.

Here are some hints for actual testing:

  * Verify the release, especially if you are a committer.
    Follow: http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#verify
  * Ensure that the compressed archive will unpack properly.
  * Follow the README.txt and index.html
  * Set $FORREST_HOME and $PATH appropriately.
  * Try it with different Java versions.
  * Try it with different versions of Apache Tomcat or Jetty.
  * Many known issues are already recorded at our Jira.
  * Don't worry too much about minor bugs. We are looking
    for blockers, such as it will not run.
  * Please add other discovered issues to Jira.

* Make a fresh site ...
    cd my-new-dir
    forrest seed-sample
    forrest run ... use the local jetty server.
    forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.
    forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.

* Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
    cd site-author
    forrest run
    forrest

* Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.
    cd main
    build clean
    build
    build test-sample

* Try it on your own project, especially if you have
    a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.

* If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.

* Try building and installing the forrestbar.

------------------------------
[1] create final release candidate if necessary
Saturday 2011-02-05 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=5&month=2&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[2] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
Monday 2011-02-07 at 22:00 UTC (i.e. planned release date)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=7&month=2&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

[3] Guidelines for Voting
"A lazy majority vote requires 3 binding +1 votes
and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes".
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#voting

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me
using MD5(apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz)= ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
+1 from me
using MD5(apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz)= ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.
Basic tests work for me on Linux with both Sun Java 5 and OpenJDK 6.

-Brian

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Brian M Dube wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
> >
> > Launching Jetty is done differently in current versions. Our
> > configuration file would also need to be redone. I'm working on this
> > now.
>
> Getting the configuration tuned with a similar level of stability to
> the packaged 4.x version will take more time than I have for this. I'd
> like to integrate this upgrade along with other products right after
> release, unless someone else has time for this.

Thanks for getting that far. I agree with that plan.

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Lots of people still embed antique copies of Jetty. They have this
annoying tendency to just work.

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:14 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>>
>> Another thing is that the site-author docs include ApacheCon NA 2010
>> in them.  I'm thinking that might deserve a new rc?
>
> That banner on the left-hand navigation is included
> by reference. So when the ASF Conferences people replace
> it with the next event, then it will show the new banner.

Shucks, thanks David I didn't even look - it used to be specific to an
event.  Thanks for clearing it up:)

Do you have any thoughts on our such an old Jetty version?

--tim

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:47 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> We need people to review the release candidate and to
> test it on your projects, especially on different operating
> systems and Java version. See testing hints below.

It seems that we forgot to update our Jetty version and it's *really*
old.  It's not technically a blocker and we wouldn't recommend a
production deployment using our embedded Jetty anyway, but it's
embarrassingly old.  I don't know what's involved in updating it but
it shouldn't be that difficult.  Anyway, I could go either way on this
one.

Another thing is that the site-author docs include ApacheCon NA 2010
in them.  I'm thinking that might deserve a new rc?

Based on:

Tim-Williamss-MacBook-Pro:forrest-rc twilliams$ md5
apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz && java -version
MD5 (apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz) = ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)

--tim

Re: summary issues with release candidate 0.9-rc1

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Are there any other opinions?

I will give it a couple more hours, then stick with rc1
and send out a vote reminder.

-David

summary issues with release candidate 0.9-rc1

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
A summary of the issues seen so far and my opinions.
Please say if you see it differently.

A) Tradmemark footer tweaks.
Okay. Leave until next release.

B) Fix recent error with .htaccess file.
Okay. Only affects website. Leave until next release.

C) Upgrade our packaged Jetty
Ditto with Apache Ant, etc.
Leave until next release.

D) Trouble with WAR file for our site-author docs.
Needs directory re-arrangement. We don't want
people providing our docs externally, and they
have a local version with 'forrest run'.
This was probably happening with our 0.8 release too.
Leave until next release.

E) Trouble with all WAR files using our provided skins,
and using the optional "Message of the day" motd facility.
This seems to be only on Java 1.5
There is a simple patch.
This was probably happening with our 0.8 release too.
Not sure about this one, but tempted to say leave until
the next release.

Still need to hear test reports from other people.
So will wait until [1].

There are a couple of issues that would be good to fix.
If we can do so, then an RC2 would be worthwhile.
http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters
FOR-roadmap-dev : FOR-1208 and FOR-915

------------------------------

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Bryce Alcock wrote:
> +1

Many thanks Bryce, that is very helpful.

Hey the motivational quotes on your home page are great.

I wonder if you are the first to publish a site with 0.9

Thanks again.

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Bryce Alcock <ba...@brycealcock.com>.
+1

ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8  apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz

Details
bryce@xubuntu-q:~/Downloads$ uname -a
Linux xubuntu-q 2.6.35-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21 17:40:48 UTC
2011 i686 GNU/Linux
bryce@xubuntu-q:~/Downloads$ md5sum apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz
ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8  apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz
bryce@xubuntu-q:~/Downloads$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
>    build
>    build test-sample
>
> * Try it on your own project, especially if you have
>    a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.
>
> * If you are a user of forrestbot then try that.
>
> * Try building and installing the forrestbar.
>
> ------------------------------
> [1] create final release candidate if necessary
> Saturday 2011-02-05 at 22:00 UTC
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=5&month=2&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
>
> [2] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
> Monday 2011-02-07 at 22:00 UTC (i.e. planned release date)
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=7&month=2&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
>
> [3] Guidelines for Voting
> "A lazy majority vote requires 3 binding +1 votes
> and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes".

|                                                    |
| linkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brycealcock   |
| Website:  http://brycealcock.com                   |
| Blog: http://quantprinciple.blogspot.com           |
| twitter: qboiler                                   |
|                                                    |

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Would people please report their success and failures early.

You can vote at any time, and even change your vote,
or vote towards the end of the period, but at least
please tell us something early about the state of things.

If there are problems, then we need to fix them ASAP
and build another release candidate.

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Reminder: The vote has about 41 hours remaining.

> [2] end of vote on final release candidate and commence the upload phase
> Monday 2011-02-07 at 22:00 UTC (i.e. planned release date)
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=7&month=2&year=2011&hour=22&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

We are using release candidate rc1

-David

Re: site-author and project.content-dir FOR-1048

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > However, the "site-author" war does not work.
> >
> > The reason is that it cannot find the project locationmap
> > and even if it did there would be no content.
> >
> > It seems that the packing up of the WAR file does not like
> > the layout of our "site-author" space. In its forrest.properties
> > we configure "project.content-dir=." and it seems that anything
> > using that property does not get packed into the war file,
> > e.g.
> > project.xdocs-dir=${project.content-dir}/content/xdocs
> > project.skinconf=${project.content-dir}/skinconf.xml
> > and content/locationmap.xml
> > ... none of those get packed into the war file and so
> > are not available at runtime.
> >
> > Moving that stuff into a sub-directory, and setting the
> > property "project.content-dir" does fix the problem.
>
> This is something that we missed putting on the roadmap:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1048
> "project.content-dir is getting ignored if "." in forrest war"

See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1219
"the directory structure of our site-author docs needs re-arrangement"
I scheduled it for the next version.

-David

site-author and project.content-dir FOR-1048

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: an XSLT issue with seed-sample WAR and Java-1.5

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > > Using our rc1 and Apache Tomcat 6.0.30 on Mac with Java 1.5
> > >
> > > ]$ cd seed-basic-rc1
> > > ]$ forrest war
> > > ]$ cp build/my-project.war $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
> > > ]$ $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
> > >
> > > Yes, it works.
> > >
> > > However, i am having trouble with the war from
> > > "seed-sample" and from "site-author".
> >
> > The "seed-sample" gives this in webapps/my-project/WEB-INF/logs/error.log
> > ERROR   (2011-02-03) 22:03.00:895   [access] (/my-project/index.html) http-8080-1/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon Problem
> > org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to process pipeline
> >         at [TransformerException] - file:///path/to/apache-tomcat-6.0.30/webapps/my-project/skins/pelt/xslt/html/site-to-xhtml.xsl:61:61
> >
> > i.e. $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/skins/pelt/xslt/html/site-to-xhtml.xsl
> >
> > Does someone else also get that on Java 1.5
> > Any clues?
>
> Would someone please try with Tomcat on Java 1.5
> As said in another thread, the "seed-sample" does
> work for me on Java 6.
>
> I have done some investigation of the abovementioned problem.
> As per the error above, line 61 is the following:
>
> 59:     <title><xsl:value-of select="div[@id='content']/h1"/>
> 60:       <xsl:if test="$config/motd">
> 61:         <xsl:for-each select="$config/motd/motd-option">
> 62:           <xsl:choose>
>
> This uses the "skinconf" which has been added into $config
> when the "common" version of the "site-to-xhtml" stylesheet
> was imported at the top of this pelt skin styleheet.
> The "motd" (Message of the day) is a single optional
> configuration element.
>
> This works fine in 'forrest site' and 'forrest run' mode
> and when using a WAR with Tomcat 6 on Java 6. But not
> for me on Mac Leopard with Java 1.5
>
> The following replacement for line 60 fixes the problem for me:
> 60:       <xsl:if test="count($config/motd) = 1">
>
> Also strange is that after this first now successful use of $config,
> the other uses further in this stylesheet now work properly,
> including this similar line:
> 523:      <xsl:if test="$config/motd">
>

>     ----------
>
> Would someone please try the WAR files on a full modern Jetty server.
> I have had a quick try, but not yet successful.

See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1220
"trouble with config variable and skins, only in WAR mode"

-David

an XSLT issue with seed-sample WAR and Java-1.5

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Using our rc1 and Apache Tomcat 6.0.30 on Mac with Java 1.5
>
> ]$ cd seed-basic-rc1
> ]$ forrest war
> ]$ cp build/my-project.war $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
> ]$ $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
>
> Yes, it works.
>
> However, i am having trouble with the war from
> "seed-sample" and from "site-author".

The "seed-sample" gives this in webapps/my-project/WEB-INF/logs/error.log
ERROR   (2011-02-03) 22:03.00:895   [access] (/my-project/index.html) http-8080-1/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon Problem
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to process pipeline
        at [TransformerException] - file:///path/to/apache-tomcat-6.0.30/webapps/my-project/skins/pelt/xslt/html/site-to-xhtml.xsl:61:61

i.e. $FORREST_HOME/main/webapp/skins/pelt/xslt/html/site-to-xhtml.xsl

Does someone else also get that on Java 1.5
Any clues?

    -------------------
On a different Mac with Java 6:

The "seed-sample" war works okay. Hooray.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The basic tests are okay for me on an independent
up-to-date Mac.

The forrestbot on our zone server (Java 6)
shows that the changeover in trunk did well.
Also not any concern from Gump.

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> As seen with http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1066728 and 1066729
> we had made a tiny mistake with the trademark footer.
> IMO it would not cause another RC.

+1 to ship it as is.

--tim

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
As seen with http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1066728 and 1066729
we had made a tiny mistake with the trademark footer.
IMO it would not cause another RC.

Anyway, if we do want to then it is fixed now.

-David

Re: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:47:08PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> For Windows get *.zip (md5sum c04600e8befeaf005d5e4b9d6c8034f9)
> For UNIX get *.tar.gz (md5sum ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8)

+1

md5sum$ ea58a078e3861d4dfc8bf3296a53a5f8  apache-forrest-0.9.tar.gz

Thanks all.

-Brian

[Result] (Was: [VOTE] please review release candidate then vote)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The vote period is finished.

Tally of all votes:
Five +1, no other votes