Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Anderson <an...@mitre.org> on 2005/01/03 18:46:38 UTC

Re: How Do I Install A Valve

Thanks for the advice.  I had originally put my class in
org.apache.catalina.valves to avoid any problems with access to protected
fields and methods.  After reading your reply, I studied the Tomcat classes
and determined that there would be no problems.  So, I have moved my class
to my own package, bundled it into a jar, and put it in
CATALINA_HOME/server/lib.  Works like a charm!

- Mark

Benson Margulies wrote:

> To begin with, unless you are planning to submit your valve as a patch
> for inclusion, I wouldn't recommend putting it in org.apache.anything.
>
> Since Valves run inside the server, not inside the web app, they need to
> be in the server classpath. You can either do what you did or edit
> catalina.properties.

Mark Anderson                                voice:703-883-6508
Networking & Distributed Systems Engineer    fax  :703-883-5864
The MITRE Corporation                        email:anderson@mitre.org