Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2020/10/08 03:13:29 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Hi general@,

Further to the proposed graduation resolution (https://s.apache.org/0x3wx)
this thread opens an IPMC VOTE on graduating the Apache Flagon (Incubating)
podling as a TLP. The clutch analysis for Flagon looks good with the
podling status page being updated to reflect project health. Flagon has
made several releases during its incubation period.

Please VOTE as follows

[ ] +1 - Graduate and establish Apache Flagon as a TLP
[ ]  0
[ ] -1 - Do not graduate Apache Flagon because...

This vote will open for at least 72 hours.

P.S. here is my IPMC-binding +1

Thanks
lewismc

=============================

The draft resolution:

Establish the Apache Flagon Project

       open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
       the public, related to thin-client behavioral logging capability
       useful for business analytics, usage analytics, usability and
       user testing.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Flagon Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Flagon Project be and hereby is
       related to thin-client behavioral logging capability
       useful for business analytics, usage analytics, usability and
       user testing, and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Flagon be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Flagon Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Flagon Project; and be it further

       Apache Flagon Project:

         * Joshua Poore  <po...@apache.org>
         * Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>
         * Laura Mariano <lm...@apache.org>
         * Clayton Gimenez <cg...@apache.org>
         * Alex Ford <af...@apache.org>
         * Steve York <py...@apache.org>
         * Michelle Beard <ms...@apache.org>
         * Robert Foley <rf...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Joshua Poore
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Flagon, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Flagon PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Flagon Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Flagon Project be and hereby
       Incubator Flagon podling; and be it further

       Incubator Flagon podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Ming Wen. Thanks for looking at this.

On 2020/10/08 03:18:59, Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,Lewis
>
> Is there a discussion thread in the incubator?

Yes I just posted it - https://s.apache.org/0x3wx

Thanks

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi,Lewis

Is there a discussion thread in the incubator?

lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org>于2020年10月8日 周四上午11:13写道:

> [...]
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Joshua Poore
>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Flagon, to
>        serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>        Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>        or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Flagon PMC be and hereby is
>        tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>        encourage open development and increased participation in the
>        Apache Flagon Project; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Flagon Project be and hereby
>        is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>        Incubator Flagon podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>        Incubator Flagon podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Ming Wen, Apache APISIX & Apache SkyWalking
Twitter: _WenMing

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi,Lewis

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your input so far

On 2020/10/08 05:39:34, Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The PPMC members not subscribed are my other concern.

I'll work with those PPMC members on that. Thanks for identifying this.

lewismc

ACTIONS RE Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Joshua Poore <po...@apache.org>.
Back on this…

have captured actions I gleaned from previous thread here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLAGON/Incubator+Graduation

I’m going to get to work on these as well as a new release to ensure we’re clear by ASF policy in the way we distribute to NPM. (I’ve got  nothing to do for the next two weeks!)

If anyone sees or thinks of anything I’ve missed, please post to this thread or to the confluence page above.

Let’s get it done.

Josh

Posted by Joshua Poore <po...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

> On Oct 8, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> On 2020/10/08 06:22:37, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So assuming 2 of the products are no longer maintained but it looks like the other 2 without releases are. Are they going to be maintained and is there some intention of making a releases of them in the future?
>>>

>> Products which have been released
>> * UserALE.js

UserALE.js has had Apache releases and is actively maintained and developed against. Should be a new minor release later this quarter

>> Products which may be released
>> * UserALE.PyQt5 (I think)

UserALE.pyqt5 will be retired

>> Product which have not been released and are not maintained
>> * Distill - http://flagon.apache.org/docs/distill/
>> * TAP - http://flagon.apache.org/docs/tap/
>> * STOUT - http://flagon.apache.org/docs/stout/

STOUT and TAP will also be retired

We’re pulling relevant functionality from those to sub-projects into Distill, which will be released after a significant refactor.

> Assuming that the IP is clear and a future release has no known Policy issues then I’m ok.
>
> If these are truly to be retired then it might be friendly to make the repository read only after adding a DISCLAIMER to the README file. This DISCLAIMER might include that the repository may not have all the expected IP review that an Apache Release has and that it should be used to the user’s own risk.

We have some disclaimers notices in our READMEs, but agree should also go in DISCLAIMER file until projects are shelved or re-released. Good action.

Will coordinate with docs/website update

Will also beat bushes to get committers subscribed to the right lists.

> Not blockers to me.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Thanks, all!

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Only UserALE.js has been released under SensSoft (Incubating) and Flagon (Incubating) names. No other products have been released so this is a non-topic in my opinion.

So assuming 2 of the products are no longer maintained but it looks like the other 2 without releases are. Are they going to be maintained and is there some intention of making a releases of them in the future?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,
Thanks for taking a look at this...

On 2020/10/08 05:45:12, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> > I don’t care which products you have as long as the most recent for each is a proper Apache release.
>
> I could be mistaken (given the name change)  but there only seems to be only Apache releases for UserALE.js, although two of the products may be no longer used and have been dropped. The releases that have been made look fine to me. Perhaps an update of the website is needed to show this more clearly?

Only UserALE.js has been released under SensSoft (Incubating) and Flagon (Incubating) names. No other products have been released so this is a non-topic in my opinion.
I don't think any update needs to be made to the Website... language already exists in numerous places explicit stating which products are deprecated.

Thanks again Justin.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
There was a discussion about graduation in September. Please look for it.

I recall the name change https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-154

IPMC members need to go beyond what shows up on whimsy especially with a name change. There is a likely bug in Whimsy.

Lewis is a Mentor and I respect Tim and Furkan. I do need to verify their +1.

The maturity model is not a requirement.

I don’t care which products you have as long as the most recent for each is a proper Apache release.

The PPMC members not subscribed are my other concern.

I’ll check further tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org> 于2020年10月8日周四 下午2:09写道:

> Hi Sheng Wu, thanks for looking at this.
>
> On 2020/10/08 03:47:08, Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Lewis
> >
> > Please provide your discussion and vote from your community.
>
> Please see the thread I referenced https://s.apache.org/0x3wx
>
> > And typically, we hope to see
> > 1. Apache Maturity Model Assessment
>
> I have absolutely no idea what this is. It is not referenced from the
> Incubator Website navigation. Can you please provide a link? Thanks

It is from here,
https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
You also could find some examples on this page too.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I have absolutely no idea what this is. It is not referenced from the Incubator Website navigation. Can you please provide a link?

See [1]. However it is not required to be filled in for a project to graduate.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll go ahead and revive the Flagon logo thread we had on dev@flagon. This is by no means a blocker for graduation though.

> The points were (and were repeated for 4 reports):
>
>  1. Grow the Flagon Committer/Contributor/Community Base
>  2. Refine release processes for core analytic product (Distill)
>  3. Finalize (through vote) Flagon logo, get marketing approvals (e.g swag)

Your quite right Justin. These 'were' stated and repeated. The question they were in response to was "### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:" I've never really liked this question as it indicates that the project cannot graduate before it fixes three abitrary things. For example, if "Defining [a] release process"... really blocking for the podling graduating? No in my opinion it is not. Similarly, is finalizing a logo? In my opinion it is not.

I would like to see this question rephrased to "### Three most important unfinished issues to make progress on before graduating:"

I will also comment that these "Three most important unfinished issues" can change over time if more "important unfinished issues" come up. In light of that, the October2020 report accurately reflects the state of the project i.e. that it is ready for graduation.

> So it looks like the project did intend to release Distill?

It 'did' in the past but no longer does. This is a sign of product and community maturation. Distill is no longer actively maintained by the community. This is stated in bold on the product documentation http://flagon.apache.org/docs/distill/

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Flagon (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,
I'll comment here as well

On 2020/10/08 04:34:34, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didi my usual check and most things look good, but I can see a couple of minor things. Hopefully the mentors can comment on the following:
> - Logo is missing form logos.apache.org

There is no such subdomain... can you double check the URL? Thank you

> - A few of the proposed PMC are not subscribed to the private list (Alex, Laura, Steve)

I will encourage them to join. Thanks for pointing that out.

> - It’s been a long time since the project added any committers (Looks like the last was Arthi on 2017-01-24?)

Correct. I understand that this may indicate that the project is not attracting contributors but I have never seen this as a blocker for graduation. There are plenty of TLP's that have a small committer base and who have not added committters in a while. Apache Any23 is one example that I know.

> - There doesn’t seem to be a lot of traffic on the mailing lists (dev and especially user)

Correct. Again, this is a small project with a small user base. I don't think that this blocks graduation though.

> - There seems to be several products (UserALE, Distill, Tap and Stout) but I only see release votes for UserALE. How are the other products released?

They are not released and will not be. They are deprecated as indicated on the Website.

> - There also seem to be a python version of UserALE but I don’t see any release votes for it either.

Correct. It was never released.

> - The last four board reports have listed the same goals to reach graduation. Has any progress been made on these?

Based on the October2020 report (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/October2020#flagon) we following are defined

    Work with IPMC to approve draft graduation resolution (blocking)
    Update release practices to be consistent with NPM, Python registry (non-blocking)
    Push new UserALE.js release (non-blocking)

This looks good to me and reflects reality. Do you have any further comments?

Thanks Justin