Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by lr...@bigpicture.ie on 2004/05/14 17:03:35 UTC

unable to find processor root

Hi,

	I would love if someone could help me. I've installed apache James on
Windows machine on another 	domain.
	 I send an email to a james user on the windows machine. When I check in
the MS SQL database that 	I am using with James, I see that the mails that I
have sent are in  the deadletter table with the 	following error:
	 " Unable to find processor root requested for processing mail-xxxxxxxxx-1
". I have been looking
	everywhere for a solution, but am unable to find one.
	Can someone help ?
	Thanks
	Lisa

	Here is my root processor configuration

	<processor name="root">
	  <mailet match="SenderInFakeDomain" class="ToProcessor">
            <processor> spam </processor>
         </mailet>

         <!-- Important check to avoid looping -->
         <mailet match="RelayLimit=30" class="Null"/>

           <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=dnsbl.njabl.org"
                 class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> spam </processor>
           <notice>550 Requested action not taken: rejected - see
http://njabl.org/ </notice>
         </mailet>

         <mailet match="InSpammerBlacklist=relays.ordb.org"
                 class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> spam </processor>
           <notice>550 Requested action not taken: rejected - see
http://www.ordb.org/ </notice>
         </mailet>

         <!-- Send remaining mails to the transport processor for either
local or remote delivery -->
         <mailet match="All" class="ToProcessor">
            <processor> transport </processor>
         </mailet>
      </processor>

This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us immediately and delete this E-mail from your system. Thank you.
It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by E-mail, the Big Picture Group does not accept
any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise through the use of this medium.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Big Picture Group shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of known computer viruses.

RE: 504 error message

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Remote mail server told me: 504 <abcNT1>: Helo command rejected: need
> fully-qualified hostname

The <helloName> for the <smtpserver> block is currently used to set the
outgoing servername.

	--- Noel

RE: 504 error message

Posted by Shal Jain <sj...@foundationip.com>.
OS - Win2K Server
JVM - 1.3.x
James - 2.1.3

Some of the outbound email gets rejected with the following error message
Remote mail server told me: 504 <abcNT1>: Helo command rejected: need
fully-qualified hostname

Here it is in full detail from the remote server
mfive postfix/smtpd[21086]: 3CA1881B988: reject: RCPT from
abcNT1.mn.uswest.net[xx.yy.zz.ww]: 504 <abcnt1>: Helo command rejected:
need fully-qualified hostname; from=<no...@mydomain1.com>
to=<so...@elsewhere.com> proto=SMTP helo=<fipnt1>

I don't know where the server is picking up my local machine name abcNT1
The server config is set up as follows:

<servernames autodetect='"false" autodetectIP="true">
   <servername> mydomain1.com </servername>
   <servername> mydomain2.com </servername>
</servernames>

I have tried taking out "mydomain1.com" and replaced it with the IP address
of my server
but that seems to make no difference

If I telnet to my server at port 25, the banner comes up as
220 abcNT1 SMTP Server (JAMES SMTP Server 2.1.3) ready ..

Secondly, for outbound emails  if the sender is someone@mydomain2.com
will the remote mail server see the HELO domain as mydomain2.com or
mydomain1.com or something else.

(I'll switch to the latest JAMES version as soon as its marked as released
- I promise )

Shal Jain
612-332-8800

RE: unable to find processor root

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I basically wanted to use database (MS SQL) for all repositories.

Personally, I would not use it for things like the spam or error
repositories.  I use dbfile for the other mail repositories.

> What I noticed was that when I edited config file to have the spool
> repository pointing to my database, an exception occurred on James
> startup, which just said there was an error catching mail in spool.
> This problem disappears when I put spool repository to a file system.

This *MAY* be related to a recent change to support Oracle and DB2.  It
looks as if Oracle & DB2 on one side and MSSQL & PostgreSQL on the other,
are not compatible.  MySQL has the best implementation of a JDBC driver, as
witnessed by the fact that it just plain works regardless.

Right now, Vincenzo is preparing a patch we've discussed that will allow our
code to be even more flexible with regard to working around database
nuances.  He hopes to commit that change on Wednesday (tomorrow), and we'll
be looking for some people to test it almost immediately.

> Also, I had put the local users repository pointing to my database, but
when
> I sent an email, it said that the users' address was wrong(it wasn't).
When
> I pointed the local users repository to the file system, it worked fine.

> After the above tests, I inserted 1000 users into james users table in MS
> SQL. (Not through remote manager). James doesn't seem to recognise that
> these users exist.  Do they need to be inserted through Remote Manager
> rather than through a SQL insert statement ?

Those two reports suggest that James isn't pointing to the table you think
it is using.  If you go into Remote Manager and do a listusers, do you see
the user(s)?  No, James doesn't require you to add users via the Remote
Manager.

	--- Noel

RE: unable to find processor root

Posted by lr...@bigpicture.ie.
 I've done a few tests on my James setup today. I came across the following
problems:

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've done what you specified below and I can confirm that
> James does use the file system for everything except for
> the user repository.

And it is working?

> I'm ready, if you are to start on the next stage.

Through the miracle of e-mail, we don't need to be in synch.  :-)  We do
have IRC, where users can give each other real-time help, but it seems to be
rarely used.

What do you want to do next?  For which things do you want to use a
database, and for which do you want to use the file system?

	--- Noel

RE: unable to find processor root

Posted by lr...@bigpicture.ie.
Hi Noel,

 Sorry for the late response back to this problem. I've done what you
specified below and I can confirm that James does use the file system for
everything except for the user repository.

 I'm ready, if you are to start on the next stage.

Thanks for your help

Lisa

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I sent an email to the James test user on another domain and
> this email went there correctly and was held in a test user
> repository under the inbox file system.

Ok, that's good.  :-)

> the only changes I made were to comment out the file system
> repository bits, and replace them (or uncomment!) the database
> repository code.

Before going further, since you're doing this new, I would uninstall James
2.1.3, and start by installing James 2.2.0RC3.  You should delete the inbox
and spool tables from the database (or all of them, if you wish).

Start with the default config.xml, with your local changes for DNS and
server information.  Make sure that it works.  If you have deleted
everything prior to installing James 2.2.0RC3, don't forget to go into the
console and create a user to receive mail.

After you have once again verified that you can send mail to a test user,
using the file system repositories, make the following changes:

  1.  carefully comment out the <inboxRepository>
  2.  remove the <!-- and --> immediately above and below
      the <inboxRepository> for the db:// protocol
  3.  remove the <!-- and --> immediately above and below
      the <data-source> for the database (Microsoft?) that
      you are using.  Make sure that you:
      a. have a suitable JDBC driver
      b. have created a database (Microsoft default: "James")
      c. adjust the user and password to match your database setup

That will use the file system for everything except the user repositories.
Test that.  If that works, we'll go onto the next stage.

	--- Noel

RE: unable to find processor root

Posted by lr...@bigpicture.ie.
Hi,

	I reinstalled James-2.1.3  and firstly, instead of setting up repositories
on the databases, I left them as the default file system setup. I sent an
email to the James test user on another domain and this email went there
correctly and was held in a test user repository under the inbox file
system.

Next, the only changes I made were to comment out the file system repository
bits, and replace them (or uncomment!) the database repository code.
I restarted  James server & sent another test email. I am getting the
original problem where the mail is successfully spooled and then ends up in
the deadletter table because processor root cannot be found.

Is there something simple that I'm missing or a problem copying the data
from spool table to inbox table ?

Thanks
Lisa

> When I check in the MS SQL database that I am using with James, I
> see that the mails that I have sent are in  the deadletter table
> with the following error: "Unable to find processor root
> requested for processing mail-xxxxxxxxx-1".

I'd start with a clean install, and go through the process again.  I'm
guessing some sort of odd typo that is confusing Avalon's configuration
parsing.

	--- Noel

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Lisa,