Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "nutch.buddy@gmail.com" <nu...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/14 11:19:39 UTC

best practicies dealing with solr collections and instances

I have various search applications that use different solr indexes.
Solr cloud has a collections feature, which allows me to use 2 different
indexes in one solr instance.
The problem is that if I use this, any maintenance on each one of the
collections that requires a restart of solr, would also impact the other
collection.

what is the best practice to deal with this issue?
Should I just run 2 solr instances on different ports?
Should I use the collections feature?
Or any 3rd option?

Thanks.

Re: best practicies dealing with solr collections and instances

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Well, what does "maintenance" entail? Changing schema? Rebuilding the index?

Many operations under the "maintenance" rubrik can be done with core admin
handler requests, see:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin

But if that doesn't solve your problem, then probably running in two
separate JVMs is where you'll have to go. But check out the core admin
stuff first.

Best
Erick