Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net> on 2009/07/02 12:02:40 UTC

Thrift talk tomorrow in London

Hi all,

I know it's a bit hasty, but I'll give a talk about Thrift, AMQP and
asynchronous RPC and messaging tomorrow at 4pm at RabbitHQ (I think it's at
LShift, I'll send an update when I know it). It's free and everybody will be
welcomed!

Cheers.

Re: Thrift talk tomorrow in London

Posted by Esteve Fernandez <es...@sindominio.net>.
Hi Laurens

> I'm very interested in this talk (I'm using your excellent
> txAMQP/txThrift), but unfortunately I can't make it to London
> tomorrow. I doubt that I'll be only person in this situation -- will
> the talk be recorded? Can we get the slides somewhere?

Thank you for using the whole stack (txAMQP/txThrift) :-) I'd love to hear
about what you use it for.

AFAIK, the talk will be recorded by Skills Matter (http://skillsmatter.com/)
but I'm not sure. You can watch a similar talk I gave at PyCon US in March
(slides are included):

http://us.pycon.org/2009/conference/schedule/event/28/

This time I added a benchmark against Protocol Buffers, JSON (simplejson and
cjson) and YAML. And my benchmarks (based upon Justin's,
http://www.bouncybouncy.net/ramblings/posts/json_vs_thrift_and_protocol_buffers_round_2/)
show that Thrift is more than 60 times faster than Protocol Buffers, while
creating way smaller messages than JSON, by using the accelerated version of
the binary protocol. I'm sure the compact version will reduce the size even
more.

BTW, just as an update to the previous message, the talk will be at
RabbitMQ/LShift offices:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&geocode=&q=lshift&ie=UTF8&ll=51.529812,-0.08111&spn=0.012041,0.038581&z=15&iwloc=A

Posted by Laurens Van Houtven <lv...@laurensvh.be>.
Hey,

I'm very interested in this talk (I'm using your excellent
txAMQP/txThrift), but unfortunately I can't make it to London
tomorrow. I doubt that I'll be only person in this situation -- will
the talk be recorded? Can we get the slides somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Laurens