Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2003/12/27 23:03:49 UTC

Re: Forrestbot2 webapp

Quoting Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>:

> Is there a webapp that works with forrestbot2?  There is a webapp/
> directory in the scratchpad, but not enough documentation for me to
> figure out how to make it work, or even to know if it will work with
> forrestbot2.
>
> --
> Marshall Roch

The webapp mostly works, but only from a monitoring standpoint.  Edit
WEB-INF/config.properties and user.properties to configure it.  I am working on
some changes to it though.

I haven't worked on the scripts, yet.  These are in the scripts/ directory and
listen to a command file (updated by the webapp) to actually run forrestbot.
Currently they are just a copy of the old scripts.  I'm pondering a
cross-platform way to implement these.  Perhaps the webapp should just run
forrest directly.

Hope that helps.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net

Re: Forrestbot2 webapp

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Dave Brondsema wrote:

>Quoting Marshall Roch <ma...@exclupen.com>:
>

>>Is there a webapp that works with forrestbot2?  There is a webapp/
>>directory in the scratchpad, but not enough documentation for me to
>>figure out how to make it work, or even to know if it will work with
>>forrestbot2.
>>
>>--
>>Marshall Roch
>>

>The webapp mostly works, but only from a monitoring standpoint.  Edit
>WEB-INF/config.properties and user.properties to configure it.  I am working on
>some changes to it though.
>
>I haven't worked on the scripts, yet.  These are in the scripts/ directory and
>listen to a command file (updated by the webapp) to actually run forrestbot.
>Currently they are just a copy of the old scripts.  I'm pondering a
>cross-platform way to implement these.  Perhaps the webapp should just run
>forrest directly.

In the Cocoon scratchpad (I believe), there's an AntBuildGenerator, or
some such. I've never used it, but imagine I may at some point. That way
you could build an Ant build directly into a Cocoon webapp - assuming
that timeouts aren't a problem, and that the generator provides enough
feedback as the process runs. I've never tried it myself though.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Forrestbot2 webapp

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Quoting Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > The webapp mostly works, but only from a monitoring standpoint.  Edit
> > WEB-INF/config.properties and user.properties to configure it.  I am
> working on
> > some changes to it though.
>
> There is a patch attached to
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-89 that
> creates a deployable war, this whould work with the forrestbot but I
> have not tested it.
>
> As soon as I get the necessary accss to CVS I'll apply the patch, but in
> the meantime you can apply it to your local version. Let me know if
> there are any problems with it.
>
> Ross

I'm going to be gone for a week; I'll look into it when I get back.

This is related to a problem I've been thinking about for a while.  At
forrestbot.cocoondev.org you can see that the sites and logs are accessible as
part of the webapp so presumably forrestbot builds the sites into subdirectores
of the forrestbot exploded war.

To view sites, either this must be done or webapps must be set up so that the
sites and logs are accessible somehow in the URL.  e.g.

http://domain/forrestbot/logs/mysite.txt is part of the /forrestbot webapp
OR
http://domain/forrestbot-logs/mysite.txt is it's own /forrestbot-logs webapp

The advantage of the first is that users don't have to set up a webapp for logs
and a webapp for sites.  The disadvantage is that forrestbot has to generate all
it's files into the webapp directory.  This is quite unnatural, especially if
you aren't going use the webapp.

Re: Forrestbot2 webapp

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@wkwyw.net>.