Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/13 18:01:20 UTC

Deployment properties

Hi,

I'm tired of screwing around with deployments not working with the
right permissions and groups. The last fix to the deployments make
the permissions decent by default but that's not enough as I deployed
something that didn't have a group at all.

So I would like to propose using a simple properties file at the root
of the server that all deployments will obey. Something like:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/maven-
repository.properties

Just a first though but it's simple and should work. The only thing
that would need to be taken into account is a script that would flip
everything if you decided to change any of the listed properties. But
we could easily make a plugin to generate a script, deploy it and run
it.

Jason.

Re: Deployment properties

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 13 Apr 07, at 12:27 PM 13 Apr 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> WAGON-19 and MDEPLOY-28 have patches that would solve the problem with
> metadata permissions among others.

We could also just make the properties a little more sophisticated to
allow for variation. I think just having a reference be looked up and
used it more maintainable in the long run instead of having to tweak
all the tools.

Jason.

Re: Deployment properties

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
WAGON-19 and MDEPLOY-28 have patches that would solve the problem with
metadata permissions among others.

On 4/13/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tired of screwing around with deployments not working with the
> right permissions and groups. The last fix to the deployments make
> the permissions decent by default but that's not enough as I deployed
> something that didn't have a group at all.
>
> So I would like to propose using a simple properties file at the root
> of the server that all deployments will obey. Something like:
>
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/maven-
> repository.properties
>
> Just a first though but it's simple and should work. The only thing
> that would need to be taken into account is a script that would flip
> everything if you decided to change any of the listed properties. But
> we could easily make a plugin to generate a script, deploy it and run
> it.
>
> Jason.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Deployment properties

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
that's very ssh specific, more complex scenarios would use archiva and
control there the permissions.

if you want the ssh wagon look for the properties and use them if
present cool, but it'd be easier now to apply and test the patches in
WAGON-19

Re: Deployment properties

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Re: Deployment properties

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
so, would the deploy plugin read these properties and set them on the wagon
at deployment time, or would you have some sort of cron job to keep things
honest? I'm guess you'll have to have both, since older versions of the