Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/06/03 16:36:08 UTC

Jar Versions for an upcoming 2.3 rc

Hi,

I'm starting to work on some sort of release preparation for the
Turbine 2.3 code base. I did some checks on the jars that we use.

Currently we still depend on the following non-released or outdated
jars:

What			We have 		Available	Newer Version
								on ibiblio?

commons-codec		1.0-dev			1.1			no
commons-configuration	20030311.152757		0.8.1  *1)		no
commons-email		20030310.165926		no, sandbox		yes
commons-fileupload	1.0-beta-1		1.0-beta-1		yes
commons-logging		1.0.2			1.0.3			yes
ecs			1.4.1			1.4.2 RC *5)		no
javamail		1.3			1.3.1 *6)		no
log4j			1.2.7			1.2.8			yes
stratum			1.0-b3			1.0-b3  *2)		yes
torque			20030310.174947		3.1-alpha1		yes
velocity		1.3			1.3.1			yes
village			2.0-dev-20021111	2.0-dev-20021111 *3) 	yes
xalan			2.1.0			2.5.0 			no
xerces			2.0.2			2.4.0			no
xerces (xmlParserAPIs)	2.0.2			*7)			no
xmlrpc			1.2-a2			1.2-b1 *4) 		no

* 1) Eric is pushing for an 1.0 release in the commons proper. We
     should definitely wait for this.

* 2) Any newer release unlikely, it is much more likely that stratum
     will simply disappear post the turbine-2.3 release

* 3) Unlikely that there will ever be more work on this. Village seems to
     be abandoned.

* 4) Some minor changes in CVS HEAD post 1.2-b1

* 5) The 1.4.2 release is pretty soon now. It contains some bug fixes and
     should be considered.

* 6) Early Access Release available. Only bug fixes, no show stopper.

* 7) We should clean up the confusion around this jar and then add the correct
     one.

This keeps us with the following groups of jars:

a) the easy ones: velocity, commons-logging, log4j

   I committed the updates to the CVS. The tree still builds. ;-)

b) the missing ones: commons-codec, xalan, xerces

    Newer versions are available but need to be pushed onto ibiblio.
    Who is willing to do the grunt work to persuade the powers that
    be to upload these jars?

c) The beta ones: commons-configuration, commons-email, commons-fileupload,
                  ecs, torque, xmlrpc

   - c-c: Eric is pushing for an 1.0 release in commons-proper

          My suggestion: I'm +1 on waiting for this

   - c-e: "the usual suspects" (Daniel, JvZ, Jon, dIOn), no code changes
          since two months. As the package is called "o.a.commons.mail", maybe
          a release as "commons-mail" at some point later.

          My suggestion: release with the snapshot jar. Alpha, Beta or
                         proper release highly unlikely unless any of
                         the current developer steps up and says otherwise.

   - c-f: "the usual suspects" + some more developers. In beta stage
          for over three months. Some work currently going on, some
          CVS comments suggest an upcoming release candidate.

          My suggestion: As we're waiting for commons-configuration, we
          might sit tight as well on this. If we get an RC or even a
          release in time, fine, if not, go with the beta.

   - ecs  Release 1.4.2 is right upon us. Robert suggested the 1.4.2
          release any day now.

          My suggestion: Wait for 1.4.2, then release with it.

   - torque  In 3.1-alpha-1 stage for a while. No work for the last
             three weeks. Unfortunately some interoperability issues
             with 3.0 and 3.1 templates.

          My suggestion: Force Martin to do a 3.1 release. ;-)
          No, really, this should be Martins' call. I personally would
          release with 3.1-alpha-1 and damn the torpedoes, because
          we will have to live with 3.1 and post-3.1 templates for
          some time with turbine-2.3

          The 2.3 code base builds and works with the 3.1-alpha-1 templates.

   - xml-rpc  The 1.2-b1 version (just as 1.2-a2 and a3) contain quite
              some bug fixes. There is no visible schedule for a
              1.2 release and no work on the repository for some time
              (besides incorporating the codec release).

          My suggestion: Release with the 1.2-b1 jar

d) the hopeless ones: village, stratum

   - No releases planned or likely, no work happening on
     the code bases.

     My suggestion: Go with what we have, starting to fade
     this code out.

e) the strange ones: xerces, xmlParserAPIs

   - Clean up the confusion around the jars, get the most
     current ones on ibiblio, release with the most current
     release versions.

Please comment. I'd like to release with current jars because most
people starting to develop with Turbine 2.3 will copy the project.xml
file from turbine into their project. So we should have some up to
date jars here.

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Jar Versions for an upcoming 2.3 rc

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Martin Poeschl" <mp...@marmot.at> writes:

>> Another thing (which might be more relevant to the Torque lists) that
>> came to my mind: As the village codebase itself seems to be dead, why
>> not move the relevant classes to Torque and start integrating them
>> more tightly to Torque.  I know of some people who use torque and are
>> quite fed up with village.

>start a vote on the torque list and you'll get my +1

I'd say that this might be the call of the working-dogs / Whichever
Group people to allow us to move their code under an Apache umbrella.

Jon?

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
> "Martin Poeschl" <mp...@marmot.at> writes:
>

>>>           No, really, this should be Martins' call. I personally would
>>>           release with 3.1-alpha-1 and damn the torpedoes, because
>>>           we will have to live with 3.1 and post-3.1 templates for
>>>           some time with turbine-2.3
>>>
>>>           The 2.3 code base builds and works with the 3.1-alpha-1
>>> templates.
>
> Ah, that's cool. But the -alpha-1 still uses stratum, doesn't it? As
> far as I can see, as soon as Torque doesn't use stratum any longer,
> only the component service is left as a stratum user.

i'm just finishing the 3.0.1 release .. next step is to migrate HEAD to
avalon and to release a 3.1-beta1 ...

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
> Hi,
>
> I'm starting to work on some sort of release preparation for the
> Turbine 2.3 code base. I did some checks on the jars that we use.
>

>    - torque  In 3.1-alpha-1 stage for a while. No work for the last
>              three weeks. Unfortunately some interoperability issues
>              with 3.0 and 3.1 templates.
>
>           My suggestion: Force Martin to do a 3.1 release. ;-)

no problem .. i'll send my account number for donations ;-)

>           No, really, this should be Martins' call. I personally would
>           release with 3.1-alpha-1 and damn the torpedoes, because
>           we will have to live with 3.1 and post-3.1 templates for
>           some time with turbine-2.3
>
>           The 2.3 code base builds and works with the 3.1-alpha-1
> templates.

torque 3.1 should use the avalon interfaces instead of the stratum
versions .. after this change we can do a release ...
i haven't looked at the avalon component service .. so any help is welcome
;-)

> d) the hopeless ones: village, stratum
>
>    - No releases planned or likely, no work happening on
>      the code bases.
>
>      My suggestion: Go with what we have, starting to fade
>      this code out.

all stratum stuff should be deprecated in 2.3!!

> Please comment. I'd like to release with current jars because most
> people starting to develop with Turbine 2.3 will copy the project.xml
> file from turbine into their project. So we should have some up to
> date jars here.

+1

martin

RE: Jar Versions for an upcoming 2.3 rc

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.

Extensive testing...  ;-)

> b) the missing ones: commons-codec, xalan, xerces
>
>     Newer versions are available but need to be pushed onto ibiblio.
>     Who is willing to do the grunt work to persuade the powers that
>     be to upload these jars?

I would but I have no time right now.

> c) The beta ones: commons-configuration, commons-email,
> commons-fileupload,
>                   ecs, torque, xmlrpc
>
>    - c-c: Eric is pushing for an 1.0 release in commons-proper
>
>           My suggestion: I'm +1 on waiting for this

+1 on the wait as well.

>    - c-e: "the usual suspects" (Daniel, JvZ, Jon, dIOn), no
> code changes
>           since two months. As the package is called
> "o.a.commons.mail", maybe
>           a release as "commons-mail" at some point later.
>
>           My suggestion: release with the snapshot jar. Alpha, Beta or
>                          proper release highly unlikely unless any of
>                          the current developer steps up and
> says otherwise.

+1 on releasing with the snapshot.

The code is stable and well tested.  Although there are no unit tests in
the CVS repo, I have them.  The problem is that they actually send the
emails.

I don't really have the time to go through the process of getting it
promoted into commons proper.  It is ready for release, IMHO.

>    - c-f: "the usual suspects" + some more developers. In beta stage
>           for over three months. Some work currently going on, some
>           CVS comments suggest an upcoming release candidate.
>
>           My suggestion: As we're waiting for
> commons-configuration, we
>           might sit tight as well on this. If we get an RC or even a
>           release in time, fine, if not, go with the beta.

+1

>    - ecs  Release 1.4.2 is right upon us. Robert suggested the 1.4.2
>           release any day now.
>
>           My suggestion: Wait for 1.4.2, then release with it.

+1

>    - torque  In 3.1-alpha-1 stage for a while. No work for the last
>              three weeks. Unfortunately some interoperability issues
>              with 3.0 and 3.1 templates.
>           My suggestion: Force Martin to do a 3.1 release. ;-)
>           No, really, this should be Martins' call. I personally would
>           release with 3.1-alpha-1 and damn the torpedoes, because
>           we will have to live with 3.1 and post-3.1 templates for
>           some time with turbine-2.3

+0.  I am okay with releasing with alpha-1 as long the final version is
not released before we complete our alpha stage.

>           The 2.3 code base builds and works with the
> 3.1-alpha-1 templates.
>
>    - xml-rpc  The 1.2-b1 version (just as 1.2-a2 and a3) contain quite
>               some bug fixes. There is no visible schedule for a
>               1.2 release and no work on the repository for some time
>               (besides incorporating the codec release).
>
>           My suggestion: Release with the 1.2-b1 jar

+1

> d) the hopeless ones: village, stratum
>
>    - No releases planned or likely, no work happening on
>      the code bases.
>
>      My suggestion: Go with what we have, starting to fade
>      this code out.

+1

> e) the strange ones: xerces, xmlParserAPIs
>
>    - Clean up the confusion around the jars, get the most
>      current ones on ibiblio, release with the most current
>      release versions.

+1