Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by chengjh <ch...@apache.org> on 2012/07/03 05:33:29 UTC

[Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes Improvement

Hi All,

As we know,Track Changes is one of the most important features in a
document editing application,such as the Apache OpenOffice.org Writer.It
provides to track history changes within a document and review a shared
document between different roles in an internal and collaborative
environment.Through this feature,end users can conveniently distinguish
each roles' revised changes and review comments when working on the same
document,especially within a complex reviewing process.

Although,Apache OpenOffice.org Writer has also provided the Track Changes
feature, there are existing very obviously feature gaps comparing with MS
Word.Please refer to the details from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Comparison_and_GAP.Of
course, the interoperability fidelity with MS Word is poor..Because of the
obviously feature gaps,we have received some requirements to improve the
function area, and been raised some defects too.Please refer to the classic
ones from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Requirement
.

In order to decrease the feature gaps,especially improve the
interoperability fidelity with MS Word, we have taken some investigation
and tried to understand the current implementation
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Current_Design
deeply.
And then, based on the our current knowledge and understanding,we have
worked out a design proposal
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Design_Proposals
for
your review. The proposal is just the beginning, and now open for review
and discussion.

For our same goal to make Apache OpenOffice.org successful, I appreciate
your comments and contribution to the improvement. Your ideas and comments
will not be limited to the current design proposal,breakthrough thinking
welcomed..Expecting your involvement.Thanks.

Reference:
[1] Track Changs Wiki::
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges
[2] OASIS ODF TC on Track Changes:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Change%20Tracking%20Meta%20Requirements

--
Best Regards,Jianhong Cheng

Re: [Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes Improvement

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin,you are right..

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> KG 01 - Excuse top post.  Proposal looks great. What is the impact/risk on
> the UI?  How might we improve the user experience? Perhaps a task pane with
> threaded comments and available actions?
>
> Good idea.In this improvement,we will have UI changes and provide better
user experiences.Currently,we have not started the progress yet..I
appreciate your further proposals and actions on this part.Thanks in
advance.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.

--

Best Regards,Jianhong Cheng

RE: [Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.Please say my a),b),c) and d).

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org

[ ... ]

Posted by chengjh <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback.Please say my a),b),c) and d).

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> I have some concerns.
>
> First, the meta-requirements Wiki page was last updated on 2012-03-12 and
> there has been on-going turmoil at the ODF TC on which of three proposals
> will be refined into an ODF 1.3 improvement.   There is no resolution,
> although there is some major discussion to occur in the ODF TC Conference
> calls in the next few weeks.

a)The meta-requirements collected and discussed in the Wiki contain broad
scope..And we have submitted our requirements to the group..currently,we
are keeping an eye on its progress.

Because of this, it is important to understand how your proposed Track
> Changes Improvement will be reflect in the ODF 1.2 documents consumed and
> produced by Apache OpenOffice at this time.  That is, what needs to be done
> in the format, if anything, and how is interoperable communication of that
> handled in the persistent document?

b) One of the significant principles of the improvement is to keep
compatibility
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Design_Principles
with
previous releases of AOO/Symphony in order to ensure the persistent
document. The new formats saved in the improvement will be lost when being
launched into old versions' AOO/Symphony.

Also, do the proposed improvements favor one of the three proposals or
> borrow some elements from each?  Is it a completely separate improvement to
> the existing ODF 1.2 provisions (as badly-specified as they might be)?  Is
> it designed toward interoperability with the functionality of Microsoft
> Word documents and convertibility with .doc or OOXML Word Processing
> (.docx, basically)?
>
> c)Please provide the three proposals that will be taken as OASIS ODF
standard, I am not clear about them. We can refer it during improving our
solution.Thanks.
Currently,our proposals focus on the interoperability
fidelity improvements with MS Word,the binary format is our first goal,and
OOXML is followed. Actually, ODF limitations are not our first
consideration to improve when working on the new design because I think the
perfect solution is the most important..we are still working to find it
out..Once the solution is ready, I think the ODF should not be a problem.

> Without understanding the improvements in terms of what users perceive and
> can manipulate, and how it is conveyed in the persistent document(s), it is
> very difficult to assess the proposal.
>
> d)When the customers are using AOO/Symphony, especially they exchange
document with MS Word, the track changes feature becomes a blocker. It
blocks end users to move from MS Office to AOO..So,they demand us to
improve the function area to meet their requirements in time.