Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2023/03/25 15:31:39 UTC

[request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC10

Hi all,
     I've published the new RC for XalanJ 2.7.3 release (located at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xalan/j/2.7.3/RC10/). This RC,
uses Apache Commons BCEL 6.7.0, and also provides means to build and
test XalanJ from the source distribution.

Since the previous XalanJ RC, this RC provides following improvements,
1) Few improvements to the XalanJ implementation and tests build
scripts, based on feedback from XalanJ list members.
2) New linux build scripts, for XalanJ implementation and tests builds.
3) Implementation of few new XalanJ tests, for the jira issues solved
for XalanJ 2.7.3.
4) Upgrade to the latest jtidy library (that parses XalanJ tests
output HTML documents).
5) Suppression of few error messages, during XalanJ tests build, whose
context was not clear.

The apache git tags corresponding to this RC, are following (these
have been committed as well),
xalan-java repos (branch xalan-j_2_7_1_maint) : xalan-j_2_7_3-rc10
xalan-test repos (branch master) : xalan-j_2_7_3-rc10

I've verified the working of this RC, both on windows and linux
platforms, and necessary build tests pass as discussed during review
of XalanJ RC9.

The key that can be used, to verify this RC is located within the
file, at https://dlcdn.apache.org/xalan/xalan-j/KEYS.

The XalanJ readme file, has been updated here
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=xalan-java.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=refs/heads/xalan-j_2_7_1_maint,
describing the XalanJ build and tests process.

Kindly review and vote, for this XalanJ 2.7.3 RC.

Great work everyone. Here's my +1 for this RC.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC10

Posted by Joseph Kessselman <ke...@alum.mit.edu>.
Ah. I did see that and had not investigated.

Different configuration for dev build and src build seemed surprising,
but if that's what we've got, it's working, and the docs are clear
there's no need to change it. (And if it's standard practice for Apache,
it would be hard to argue with.)

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Joseph,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Joseph,

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@alum.mit.edu>.

--
   /_  Joe Kesselman (he/him/his)
-/ _) My Alexa skill for New Music/New Sounds fans:

() Plaintext Ribbon Campaign
/\ Stamp out HTML mail!
________________________________

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Michael Glavassevich is still active on the Xerces-J project. Not sure
if he's subscribed to this mailing list or not, but I suggest pinging
him.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 1:37 PM Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 5:50 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Where is the 3rd binding vote? I might have missed it.
>
> I can see that, the latest Xalan pmc records show that, following are
> the currently eligible Xalan pmc members to cast binding votes for the
> releases,
>
> Bill Blough,  Gary D. Gregory,  Michael Glavassevich,  Mukul Gandhi,
> Roger Leigh
>
> We've currently achieved two Xalan release binding votes for this RC as follows,
> Gary Gregory,
> Mukul Gandhi
>
> We still need, at least one more Xalan release binding vote, to have
> this XalanJ RC approved as a release.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Mukul Gandhi

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: [request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC10

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
"the 'minimum quorum of three +1 votes' rule is universal."

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 7:32 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please see https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I wish to apply the principle of lazy consensus, to this vote.

"The codebase changes within XalanJ 2.7.3 release have been applied
with consensus of all concerned. If no-one objects within three days,
I'll assume lazy consensus and commit it."

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary & all,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 7:32 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please see https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

From this cited link, I'm able to learn that, we need at least 3 +1
pmc votes to have this RC, progress as the next XalanJ release (i.e,
2.7.3).

As of now, therefore, we need at least one more Xalan pmc +1 vote, to
have this Xalan RC ready to be released.

I'll request, other Xalan pmc members, to please review this RC and
make there votes.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary & all,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 7:32 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please see https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

From this cited link, I'm able to learn that, we need at least 3 +1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi Mukul,

No need to add another +1 vote. The rules of voting are clear on this point.
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

If the 72 hours delay is done, and *no* -1 binding vote, and two +1
vote, all seems good for me to release the RC10.

Regards,
Bruno

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi Mukul,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

In the vote process (in ASF), the count of +1 doesn't matter, only -1
vote (veto) are blocker for the vote. So no need the 3rd +1 (binding)
(even if will be better)

If the number of binding vote is too small (2 votes versus 5 PMC
members), after the 72 hours vote period (or more time), the lazy
consensus should use (I suppose), otherwise the release will never done.

Milamber

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Xalan-test brainstorming noise

Posted by Joseph Kessselman <ke...@alum.mit.edu>.
Just documenting my current thoughts. Not sure I'm actually on the dev
list again/still, but it's the right place for this rather than
inflicting it on j-users.

I'm pondering the cleanest way to move the currently-separate jira tests
into the main test suite. For example, the date formatting bug could be
run, as some of the existing tests are, by transforming into a
stringbuffer and checking that the zone offset is appropriately
formatted; I think we could use
System.setProperty("user.timezone","IST") to switch into the
fractional-hour offset mode to provoke the bug case.

But to really do this cleanly I'm doing some reverse-engineering of the
test framework, trying to recall the exact differences between the
various Testlet/Datalet Drivers. As the tests/bugzilla directory shows,
we did have ways of setting up a test directory with both simple
transform tests and explicit java Testlets (though the
BugzillaTestletDriver is a bit different from our usual setup and I need
to make sure I understand how.)

Note that tests/bugzilla is where we put tests for reported errors that
we were still working on, which is why some of them are stylesheet and
input which provoke the issue but don't have either a gold file or a
Testlet to execute and evaluate them.

Jira has replaced Bugzilla, so arguably we should now have an equivalent
tests/jira directory that demonstrates known unresolved issues, and they
should be moved into a directory that's part of the "live" regression
suite. This would require some updating of build.xml.

Yeah, I'm getting distracted by minutiae. I'd like to improve our
undersanding/doc for xalan-test so it's easier to deal with going
forward. But as a quick hack, I could just put jira-issue tests into
tests/bugzilla while working on them, and perhaps set up a
tests/jira-fixed which they'd be moved to when repaired, and
sanity-check whether they can be moved into the *right* test sets later.

Re: [request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC10

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On vote call, Mukul have add this line at the end of mail:
>
> Great work everyone. Here's my +1 for this RC.
>

> So two +1 for this vote (you and Mukul)

I've already mentioned +1 as my vote, at the start of this vote thread.

It seems to me that, this vote could now be declared as pass. We could
also, count Joseph Kesselman's support of this RC as +1 vote.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.