Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2014/11/06 13:13:01 UTC

JIRA + PR backlog

(Different topic, indulge me one more reply --)

Yes the number of JIRAs/PRs closed is unprecedented too and that
deserves big praise. The project has stuck to making all changes and
discussion in this public process, which is so powerful. Adjusted for
the sheer inbound volume, Spark is doing a much better job than other
projects; I would not hold them up as a benchmark of 'good enough', to
be honest.

JIRA is usually under-managed and it's a pet issue of mine. My motive
is that core contributor / committer time is very valuable and in
short supply. On the one hand we could use lots more of it to shepherd
changes and fix bugs in the core that only the very experienced can.
On the other hand, you all deserve time to work on your own changes,
build a business, etc.

So I harp on JIRA management as a way to save time:
- Merging PRs sooner means less rebasing / retesting
- Bouncing back bad PRs/JIRAs early teaches everyone what's acceptable
as a good PR/JIRA and prevents the noise in the first place
- Resolving issues soon prevents duplicates from being filed
- Recording 'WontFix' resolutions early heads off repeated
discussion/work on out of scope topics

I have more concrete ideas about managing this but it's not for now.
For now, thanks for zapping some old JIRAs this morning and for
endorsing the idea of staying on top of the issue list in general. As
a long-time fan I hope I can help from the sidelines by also closing
JIRAs I'm all but certain are stale, and review minor PRs to clear the
way for maintainers to take on the more important work.

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
If possible, it would be great if we could set up a DNS alias, such as prs.spark.apache.org, to point to this app.  I think the appspot domain is being blocked by some users’ firewalls, preventing them from accessing the site.

On November 11, 2014 at 1:34:36 PM, Nicholas Chammas (nicholas.chammas@gmail.com) wrote:

That's a good idea.

To encourage and leverage the community to review PRs and JIRA issues, we
should link to both the PR dashboard <https://spark-prs.appspot.com/> and
the stale JIRA filter
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-560?filter=12329614> (or
whatever JIRA filter or dashboard we want) from someplace prominent,
perhaps from the CONTRIBUTING
<https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md> file.

Nick

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
That's a good idea.

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Yu Ishikawa <yu...@gmail.com>.
Great jobs!

Re: JIRA + PR backlog

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think better tooling will make it much easier for committers to trim the
list of stale JIRA issues and PRs. Convenience enables action.

   - Spark PR Dashboard <https://spark-prs.appspot.com/>: Additional
   filters for stale PRs
   <https://github.com/databricks/spark-pr-dashboard/issues/1> or PRs
   waiting on committer response would be great.
   - Stale Spark JIRA issues
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12329614&jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20updated%20%3C%3D%20-90d%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20ASC>:
   This filter is sorted by the least recently updated issues first and can be
   filtered additionally by component. There are many, many easy wins in this
   filter.

Nick
​