Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Václavík Radek <Ra...@zentiva.cz> on 2004/09/29 10:52:06 UTC

XLT file won't open in associated application (Excel)

Hi all,

I am trying to download an XLT (Excel template) file from Tomcat server, but
instead of running excel and opening the file, browser (IE 6) shows the file
in binary.

I have tried setting the MIME mapping in web.xml for this site such as:
  <mime-mapping>
        <extension>xlt</extension>
        <mime-type>application/vnd.ms-excel</mime-type>
  </mime-mapping>

(I have tried also "msexcel", "excel"). But I still can't get the browser to
run Excel.

When I put the same file onto MS IIS server and try to download it, Excel
runs and opens the file correctly. I have inspected HTTP requests and

I also have similar problem with dot file type (MS Word document template).
I have added the following to web.xml:

  <mime-mapping>
        <extension>dot</extension>
        <mime-type>application/msword</mime-type>
  </mime-mapping>

and when I run the Tomcat server on localhost while developing, this works
fine and runs Word. But when I deploy the application to production Tomcat
server, Word is not run and binary file is displayed again. With dot file
type this does not work in either case (as mentioned above).

I am using Tomcat 5.0.12 for developing and 5.0.19 for production.

Thanks for possible solutions.

Radek

Ing. Radek Václavík
ICS Department - webmaster