Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2017/11/01 21:12:34 UTC

Re: Introductions - contributing database research and development expertise where needed

Edmon,

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself.

One area you could help is by reviewing the existing documentation. Run through the examples on the web site (e.g. http://calcite.apache.org/docs/tutorial.html <http://calcite.apache.org/docs/tutorial.html>) and see whether it is consistent and complete. (I.e. does it make sense, and does it tell you about everything you would like to know about Calcite, in a sensible order.)

If you would like to write some code, Spatial is an area that you could contribute. There are a lot of OpenGIS functions to implement, but they can be done one at a time, and usually each takes very little effort because there is already an implementations in the underlying ESRI library. Take a look at https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/3e9d3b2 <https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/3e9d3b2> and you’ll see that each function requires a small change to just 3 files: GeoFunctions.java, spatial.iq, reference.md. Start with say ST_X(geom), which you can base upon ST_Z(geom).

Julian

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I would advocate using JIRA. For this purpose, I have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2031 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2031>.

The list of not-yet-implemented functions is in https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/core/src/test/resources/sql/spatial.iq <https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/master/core/src/test/resources/sql/spatial.iq> - search for “# Not implemented”.

If you are working on a function or functions, add a comment to the JIRA case so that no one else starts working on the same thing.

Julian

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.

Re: Re: Introductions - contributing database research and development expertise where needed

Posted by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "chengze@keymobile.com.cn" <ch...@keymobile.com.cn>.
hi,

From: Edmon Begoli