Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com> on 2018/11/30 15:08:16 UTC

Introducing MicroMeter to JMeter

Hello,
What do you think of introducing MicroMeter into JMeter:

   - It will allow us to provide monitoring Information about JMeter to
   output like:
      - log files
      - InfluxDB (http://micrometer.io/docs/registry/influx)
      - Prometheus
   - We could possibly deliver a Health Check based on some of the JVM
   Metrics:
      - http://micrometer.io/docs/ref/jvm
      - It would enable us in the future to send Live metrics using this
   way and possibly interface more systems than only InfluxDB/Graphite

It looks like a good OSS library with important support:

   - It is under Apache2 License
   - It is used in Spring Boot 2
   - It relies on HdrHistogram and LatencyUtils

Regards
Philippe M.
@philmdot

<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/50.69454/3.16455>

Re: Introducing MicroMeter to JMeter

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Paulo Maia Borges <pm...@temenos.com>
wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> """That’s  the benefit of Apache license."""
>
> Actually, it's a common misconception that a Software being open source
> means that any modification needs to be made publicly available, unless the
> license has some kind of exclusion like in the Apache license. That's not
> true - "open source" means that whoever receives the software (the
> binaries) is also given access to the source code. Since we're not giving
> binaries to anyone, we wouldn't have to give anyone the source code, even
> if it was a license the likes of GPL.

Yes you are right. I had in mind redistribution and it was not applicable
here.

> """Still, IMO, since you’re using a OSS project in your business, I see no
> reason for not contributing back to community [...] You’d help others,
> you’d be cited, officially thanked and you’d get feedback on your code."""
>
> I agree, I'd like my contribution to «give back» and I'd like it to be
> openly advertised for others to see I'm capable of doing advanced things
> with JMeter. However, the source code I developed for my employer (those
> who give me money every month in exchange for the work I give them, a fair
> exchange) belongs to my employer - I'm not the one who decides on whether
> it gets shared with the public.

ok.

> """At least why not contribute with your ideas."""
>
> Which is why I'm taking the time to have these interactions. I've seen
> plenty of really expensive Performance Testing Software being used
> needlessly, and some of it actually worse than the free JMeter. So I also
> want to help make JMeter as best as it can be.

Thanks.

> """I developed with the team Backend Listener, Graphite integration and
> fixed issues in the Influx one."""
>
> Sorry if I ended up criticising your work, I didn't mean to.

No I didn't take it like this at all.

> But the truth is that I didn't find the resulting data structure optimal.
>
> If I remember well, one example was that the Virtual User count
> ("threads") was being checked upon receiving samples, instead of
> periodically (so a period of sampler inactivity wouldn't report VU counts).

There were bugfixes on it since the begining.

> Can't remember whether the accrued data was being shipped in batches upon
> size threshold or periodically (it makes more sense periodically)? I think
> it had lack of "active/started/etc threads" per Thread Group, only totals
> (though I'm under the impression my plugin also has the same shortcoming).

Ok

> Metrics being called "ok" and "ko" instead of the likes of
> "SuccessfulTransactions"/"FailedTransactions"

The purpose was to reduce traffic

. I also seem to remember there wasn't a proper separation of results
> between different Thread Groups and/or proper separation between "Sampler"
> results and "Transaction Controller" results? Having metrics for successful
> TXs, failed TXs but also for the sum of both (might be regarded as
> redundant).

ok.

> I suspect that's why another company, NovatecConsulting, created their own
> version of the same functionality:
> https://github.com/NovaTecConsulting/JMeter-InfluxDB-Writer.

Possibly

> That's what I don't want to happen again, hence me trying to get into the
> discussion and see if I can be of any help making things better this time.

Ok, please continue.

Posted by Paulo Maia Borges <pm...@temenos.com>.
Hi Philippe,

[...]

Sorry if I ended up criticising your work, I didn't mean to. But the truth is that I didn't find the resulting data structure optimal.

If I remember well, one example was that the Virtual User count ("threads") was being checked upon receiving samples, instead of periodically (so a period of sampler inactivity wouldn't report VU counts). Can't remember whether the accrued data was being shipped in batches upon size threshold or periodically (it makes more sense periodically)? I think it had lack of "active/started/etc threads" per Thread Group, only totals (though I'm under the impression my plugin also has the same shortcoming). Metrics being called "ok" and "ko" instead of the likes of "SuccessfulTransactions"/"FailedTransactions". I also seem to remember there wasn't a proper separation of results between different Thread Groups and/or proper separation between "Sampler" results and "Transaction Controller" results? Having metrics for successful TXs, failed TXs but also for the sum of both (might be regarded as redundant).

I suspect that's why another company, NovatecConsulting, created their own version of the same functionality:
https://github.com/NovaTecConsulting/JMeter-InfluxDB-Writer. That's what I don't want to happen again, hence me trying to get into the discussion and see if I can be of any help making things better this time.

Regards,
Paulo Augusto Maia Borges

> I am a big fan and very knowledgeable of InfluxDB + Grafana - the
> benefits are amazing. Architecturally I like your idea (I'm not really
> knowledgeable or have opinion on Micrometer itself specifically, though).
>

> There's 2 possibilities I take from your email:
> a) ship metrics about the results of a test;
> b) ship metrics about the internal status of JMeter;
>

> # (a) ship metrics about the results of a test We already have a
> JMeter Listener that listens to results and ships them to either
> Graphite or InfluxDB.
>
> However, I dislike that Listener so much that I developed our own
> plugin for my company (private code, I'm afraid). The format of the
> data wasn't right and the aggregations weren't good either, which is
> why I developed a new Listener.

That’s  the benefit of Apache license.

Still, IMO, since you’re using a OSS project in your business, I see no reason for not contributing back to community since this development has IMU no « secret » that could not be OSSed.
You’d help others, you’d be cited, officially thanked and you’d get feedback on your code.

At least why not contribute with your ideas.

> I'd like to see a better way to ship results to Influx/Graphite/etc.
> But, I have to repeat that such functionality already exists (even
> though I wish we had a better one).

Yes I know, I developed with the team Backend Listener, Graphite integration and fixed issues in the Influx one.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Paulo,