Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/08/19 05:00:51 UTC

Hbase customize filter versioning

hi, experts,

We're trying to develop a customized filter for our hbase tables, and the
filter may still undergo many changes.

We found a solved issue(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1936)
that allows to upload customized filters without needing to restart the
region servers, However there're some limitations as it describes:

*However, if a filter class is already loaded, it won't be un-loaded.
Therefore, we can't load a new version of an existing class. Users have to
have a proper way to do filter class versioning.*

Our​ question is, what is the existing options for filter class versioning
if we do not want to restart region severs during filter upgrading? The
only option I can think of is to add suffix/prefix to different versions of
Filters, like MyFilterV1, MyFilterV2..

Any advices?

*Bin Mahone | 马洪宾*
Apache Kylin: http://kylin.io
Github: https://github.com/binmahone

Re: Hbase customize filter versioning

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
you will save yourself a large amount of operational headache if you just
rely on doing a rolling restart to deploy changes.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13907 for some discussion.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM, hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> hi, experts,
>
> We're trying to develop a customized filter for our hbase tables, and the
> filter may still undergo many changes.
>
> We found a solved issue(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1936)
> that allows to upload customized filters without needing to restart the
> region servers, However there're some limitations as it describes:
>
> *However, if a filter class is already loaded, it won't be un-loaded.
> Therefore, we can't load a new version of an existing class. Users have to
> have a proper way to do filter class versioning.*
>
> Our​ question is, what is the existing options for filter class versioning
> if we do not want to restart region severs during filter upgrading? The
> only option I can think of is to add suffix/prefix to different versions of
> Filters, like MyFilterV1, MyFilterV2..
>

> Any advices?
>
> --
> Regards,