Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by David Arno <da...@davidarno.org> on 2012/02/16 11:39:28 UTC

Time for an Apache Flex compiler.

Yesterday Adobe published their "whitepaper" on the future of Flex. In
it, they state that they'll be contributing the Falcon compiler to
Apache sometime between October and December. This compiler will support
AS3 only, with no support for MXML. So when we get the compiler (which
as already slipped from a summer - according to Alex I think - to winter
release,) we will then need to get our heads around how it works and
then add MXML support before we can use it as a replacement to the mxmlc
and compc compilers.

This is not a viable timescale for Apache Flex in my opinion. Therefore
I feel we have no choice but to ignore Falcon and to start developing
our own compiler with immediate effect. I therefore want to get an idea
as to who, if anyone, here is interested in getting involved in this
initiative?

David.

Re: Time for an Apache Flex compiler.

Posted by Piergiorgio Niero <pi...@gmail.com>.
i'm definitely in.
as3 and mxml to swf is a must, compile to js would be great for webapps,
but I'd like to see this
multitarget approach targeting other platforms too, expecially c\c++.
if flash\air doesn't run in the platform my project is targeting i would be
enabled to reuse my code and
convert it to c\c++ code.
i don't mean to create another portable vm, there have been other mail
talking about this as an option but
i don't think it would be a good way. my idea is to generate c\c++ code
which can be "plugged" to
different implementations of the base classes. at first we need to create
headers of all the base classes belonging
to playerglobal and airglobal, then anyone may implement those functions by
himself and
compile a native program for a non supported platform.
it's something similar to what haxe already does, but the starting source
code would be in as3\mxml.

pigiuz

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

> > This is not a viable timescale for Apache Flex in my opinion. Therefore
> > I feel we have no choice but to ignore Falcon and to start developing
> > our own compiler with immediate effect. I therefore want to get an idea
> > as to who, if anyone, here is interested in getting involved in this
> > initiative?
> >
> > David.
> >

> Well, if such an initiative is started, I'm sure a lot of people will
> get involved in it, myself included. What will happen to mxmlc?

I'd be interested as well, I'm far from a compiler guru, but I'm very
interested in the field of expertise.
So count me in as a newbie ;)

Re: Time for an Apache Flex compiler.

Posted by almansour belleh blanco <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 2/16/2012 1:00 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:
>> Falcon ... will support AS3 only, with no support for MXML.
> This is incorrect.
>
> Falcon *already* supports enough of MXML to compile a correctly-running version of Checkinapp, the test app that is part of the SDK. Falcon's support for .mxml, .css, and .properties still needs lots of polish -- especially in the areas of databinding, states, and MXML-specific error reporting -- but at least 80% of the this work is complete.
  That is good to hear; and I would recommend Adobe include it in their
messaging somehow.  If the white paper can be modified to clarify this
point great.  Even if not; please let the Adobe presenters on the Flex
User Group tour highlight that point.  It makes things sound much more
positive than saying "Adobe will donate an AS3 only Falcon Compiler."
People have asked me "Why won't I be able to use MXML"  and I didn't
have an answer.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Time for an Apache Flex compiler.

Posted by andrei apostolache <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Gordon for giving us some hints about Falcon's roadmap. Good luck to
you and your team and lets hope falcon's quality will reach at the
developers expectation.

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Today I played around with a AS3 As3 compiler ....

yours
Martin.