Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti <bh...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/12 17:48:42 UTC

Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by trusted authorities like verisign not working.

Hi all,
I m trying to set up the SSL for tomcat server. I wanted to know what
exactly is the procedure.
here is what i have followed.

Procedure 1.

   1. Created my own keystore.
   2. Imported the trial certificate (provided by Verisign ) into the
   keystore.
   3. Added a ssl connector component in to the conf/server.xml into tomcat
   configuration file.
   4. Started the Server, When tried accessing connector port from browser,
   I got cannot display the webpage.
   5.

procedure 2 :

   1. Created my own keystore.
   2. Imported the trial certificate (provided by Verisign ) into the
   keystore.
   3. Imported the trial certificate (provided by Verisign ) into the
   cacerts from jre/lib/security/cacerts.
   4. Added a ssl connector component in to the conf/server.xml into tomcat
   configuration file mentioning keyAlias pointing to imported certificate
   alias.
   5. Started the Server, at start up i got the folliwing exception

   java.io.IOException: Alias name mykeyalias does not identify a key entry

I had importing the root certificate or intrmediate certificate first before
importing trial verisign certificate suggested by tomcat.
But none of the things are working :-( please suggest me.
thanks in advance.
Bhuvan P

Re: Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by trusted authorities like verisign not working.

Posted by Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti <bh...@gmail.com>.
Some more information regarding my problem statement,
i followed exactly like this,

   1. created the keystore using keytool
   2. created CSR using the -certreq using keytool
   3. sent the same to verisign and get the certificate as as a reply.
   4. imported the root certificate provided by verisign.
   5. imported the intermediate cert provided by verisign.
   6. inported that trial certificate provided by verisign into the same
   keystore from which i generated the CSR
   7. referred the keystore from the <connector/> component.(I have posted
   my connector configuration ablove
   8. when i started the server i got the following error,

    java.io.IOException: Alias name aliasName does not identify a key entry.

please suggest me further.

Thanks,
Bhuvan P

Posted by Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti <bh...@gmail.com>.
Ohh i was sorry for the above two statement. :(

I m using the keystore. (Keytool)

and i m not using APR.

thanks.
Bhuvan

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti [mailto:bhuvanmp@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by
> trusted authorities like verisign not working.
>
> - no i m not using keystore.

<snip>

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by trusted authorities like verisign not working.

Posted by Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,I had tried that was y also.. now i m able to get the SSL working with
the thawte trial SSL certificate.
but not with the Verisign yet. i dono why.
Even after this importing the CA Certificate. i m getting the alert for
non-Secure items. So is that the reason that i dont have the paid SSL
certificate. or even the trail cert from thawte would behave as same as the
paid one.

Thanks,
Bhuvan P

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti <bh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Bhuvanesh Pattanashetti [mailto:bhuvanmp@gmail.com]
> Subject: Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by trusted
> authorities like verisign not working.
>
> I m trying to set up the SSL for tomcat server. I wanted to know what
> exactly is the procedure.

Tomcat version?

JRE/JDK being used?

Platform you're running on?

Are you using APR?

And, as Manuel suggested, post your <Connector> config; perhaps all of your server.xml.

 - Chuck

Re: Cofiguring tomcat for trial certificate by trusted authorities like verisign not working.

Posted by Manuel Llabata <ml...@hotmail.com>.
Could you show us your connector configuration.
regards