Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2006/02/09 00:57:18 UTC

[m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for subversion?

I have been using maven with cvs, and now am needing to move to subversion.
And I am very confused at the how to deal with the ./branches, ./releases,
./trunk I am seeing in an existing subversion project (that does not have
maven currently).

---
Thank You
Mick Knutson

Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant
BASE logic, inc.
(415) 648-1804 (S.F., CA)
http://www.BASELogic.com

Washington Mutual (WAMU) (Emeryville, California)
---

Re: [m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for subversion?

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
Based on passed situations I've been involved with that strayed in this
direction, my own opinion (and its only that :-) is that your best
motivator for restructuring isn't maven, its project clarity and
intuitiveness. What you are saying your client wants to do, unless they
are uber-organized, sounds like its a quick path to a mess. I'd separate
your projects in subversion anyway, regardless of whether using maven or
not. This is one plug I'll give for maven -- it helps to encourage this
type of modularization to happen (and gives you a good excuse to steer
your client away from probable confusion).

Brad

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.
These are sounding more and more like discrete projects. Make a
totally separate project and add a dependency to your other projects/
modules. Would that work?

On 8-Feb-06, at 6:18 PM, Mick Knutson wrote:

> But I want to be able to have each of the 3 different modules
> branchable. is that possible with maven? Having a master pom, then
> having 3 different branchable modules?
>
> ---
> Thank You
> Mick Knutson
>
> Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant
> BASE logic, inc.
> (415) 648-1804 (S.F., CA)
> http://www.BASELogic.com
>
> Washington Mutual (WAMU) (Emeryville, California)
> ---
>

>> From: Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>
>> To: Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: [m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for
>> subversion?
>> Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:10:35 -0700
>>
>> Subversion doesn't change anything. The work to port ant to maven
>> is no different whether working in subversion or not. I'm doing
>> the same thing right now, and basically you are going the throw
>> the content of your project under:
>>
>> <project_name>
>>   - trunk (generally here to start with)
>>   - tags
>>   - branches
>>
>> Just start with a new maven structure for whatever type of project
>> you are dealing with (jar, war, ear, etc.). The key thing to
>> remember is that unlike ant, where you can build multiple
>> archives, though its possible with various plugins to do this in
>> maven, the standard convention is one archive per project. So if
>> your present ant build is generating two jars, in general that
>> means your project is going to split into two projects using
>> maven. Its a pain at first, but makes good modular sense.
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> Mick Knutson wrote:
>>
>>> I am goin to read that document right now.
>>> Actually, I am only familiar with cvs and I am learning svn.
>>> However the project I am staring is in ant and svn, so I hav to
>>> learn what the best way to port an existing svn/ant application
>>> to svn/maven
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Thank You
>>> Mick Knutson
>>>
>>> Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant
>>> BASE logic, inc.
>>> (415) 648-1804 (S.F., CA)
>>> http://www.BASELogic.com
>>>
>>> Washington Mutual (WAMU) (Emeryville, California)
>>> ---

Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca

Re: [m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for subversion?

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>.
> [...]

> Washington Mutual (WAMU) (Emeryville, California)
> ---
>

>> From: "Mick Knutson" <mi...@hotmail.com>
>> To: users@maven.apache.org
>> Subject: [m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for
>> subversion?
>> Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:57:18 -0800
>>
>> I have been using maven with cvs, and now am needing to move to
>> subversion.
>> And I am very confused at the how to deal with the ./branches, ./
>> releases, ./trunk I am seeing in an existing subversion project
>> (that does not have maven currently).
>>
>> ---
>> Thank You
>> Mick Knutson
>>
>> Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant
>> BASE logic, inc.
>> (415) 648-1804 (S.F., CA)
>> http://www.BASELogic.com
>>
>> Washington Mutual (WAMU) (Emeryville, California)

Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca

RE: [m2] Do I need to change my directory structure for subversion?

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com>.