Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Barbara Post <bp...@actiwan.fr> on 2009/03/13 10:38:59 UTC

Copy log4net.config when publishing ?

Hello,

I use log4net 1.2.10 within an ASP.NET 3.5 MVC RC2 project.

Thus I initialize log4net configuration in Global.asax.cs class by this code :

[code]
string filename = Server.MapPath("log4net.config");
XmlConfigurator.Configure(new System.IO.FileInfo(filename));
[/code]

This works. log4net.config defines the standard "log4net" XML tag and its content.

I have an issue when publishing my project using Visual Web Developper Express 2008, with the following options (translating...) :

- delete all files before publishing
- copy only required files for the application to run

log4net.config doesn't get copied (of course it is included in project).

I tried the following but to no avail :

- option 1 : set log4net.config file "copy to output dir" option to "always"
- option 2 : declare a log4net config section in Web.config as follows, but I don't like it (useless and cluttering).

[code]
    <section name="log4net" type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net" />
(...)
<log4net configSource="log4net.config"/>
[/code]

I successfully use a config section in an external file in this project.

Thanks for any hint,

Barbara Post