Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Luca Furini <lf...@cs.unibo.it> on 2005/04/14 18:18:27 UTC

Some doubts about lists

Working on lists, I found a couple of paragraphs in the recommendation
whose meaning is not fully clear to me.

Section 6.8.3. (fo:list-item) states that:
  "the block-progression-dimension of the content-rectangle of an area
generated by the fo:list-item is just large enough so that the
allocation-rectangles of all its child areas are contained in it. In
particular, the space-before and space-after of the child areas have no
effect on the spacing of the list item."

As fo:list-item-label and fo:list-item-body do not generate any area
(6.8.4. and 6.8.5.), "child areas" should mean those created by the block
content of label and body.

Should all spaces before and after these block be ignored, or only the
space before the first one and the space after the last one?

A simple example:

<fo:list-block>
  <fo:list-item>

    <fo:list-item-label>
      <fo:block>block 1</fo:block>
      <fo:block>block 2</fo:block>
    </fo:list-item-label>

    <fo:list-item-body>
      <fo:block>block 3</fo:block>
      <fo:block>block 4</fo:block>
      <fo:block>block 5</fo:block>
    </fo:list-item-body>

  </fo:list-item>
</fo:list-block>

If every block had space-before and space-after > 0, should all of these
spaces be ignored or only the spaces before block 1 and 3 and spaces after
2 and 5?

Another doubt: section 7.13.8. (relative-align) states that if the value
is 'baseline'
  "the distance between the baseline of the first line-area of the first
area descendant generated by the fo:list-item-label is the same as the
distance between the baseline of the first linearea of the first area
descendant generated by the fo:list-item-body."

If both label and body generate several lines, and there is a page break
that separates both label areas and body areas, should this property apply
to the first lines in the new page too?

I would say no, but I'm quite unsure.

Regards
    Luca

Re: Some doubts about lists

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
If it helps, I fully agree with Andreas' opinion on both points.

On 14.04.2005 20:00:41 Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
<snip/>
> I must say I'm not absolutely sure about this... Other opinions, anyone?
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Some doubts about lists

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

Hi Luca,

> Working on lists, I found a couple of paragraphs in the recommendation
> whose meaning is not fully clear to me.
>
> Section 6.8.3. (fo:list-item) states that:
>   "the block-progression-dimension of the content-rectangle of an area
> generated by the fo:list-item is just large enough so that the
> allocation-rectangles of all its child areas are contained in it. In
> particular, the space-before and space-after of the child areas have no
> effect on the spacing of the list item."

<snip />
> If every block had space-before and space-after > 0, should all of these
> spaces be ignored or only the spaces before block 1 and 3 and spaces after
> 2 and 5?

Excuse me if it sounds bold, but I think neither... and will give you a
third alternative.

IIC, what is meant is:
the space-* of the contained blocks should be seen as _content_ of the
list-item, such that they are not ignored, but their values are _included_
in the total BPD without influencing the spacing between previous and
following list-items.

To put it differently:
If the spacing between the list-items is specified as 10pt,
and space-before of block 1 = 5pt
and space-after of block 2 = 5pt,
then the space between the content-rectangles of two list-items will always
be 10pt,
but the space between the allocation-rectangle for block 2 of one list-item
and the allocation-rectangle of block 1 on the next list-item *is* a total
of 20pt. (minimum? see the other issue below. )

I must say I'm not absolutely sure about this... Other opinions, anyone?

> Another doubt: section 7.13.8. (relative-align) states that if the value
> is 'baseline'
>   "the distance between the baseline of the first line-area of the first
> area descendant generated by the fo:list-item-label is the same as the
> distance between the baseline of the first linearea of the first area
> descendant generated by the fo:list-item-body."
>
> If both label and body generate several lines, and there is a page break
> that separates both label areas and body areas, should this property apply
> to the first lines in the new page too?
>
> I would say no, but I'm quite unsure.

Agreed 100% here. I would interpret this to mean that the largest of the two
distances wins --between two consecutive list-item-labels or -bodies. If the
body is larger, then the distance between the 'first' baselines of the
labels is the same as the distance between the 'first' baselines of the
bodies.

Cheers,

Andreas