Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> on 2014/09/26 20:40:01 UTC

VCL usage statistics

Hi,

How does VCL track usage for Statistics page?
I'm interested in "Total Hours Used" field. Does it round time to nearest hour or does it log number of minutes/seconds image was in use? I.e. if image was in use for 24 minutes would it log 1 hour or 24 minutes ?

--
Thank you,

Dmitri Chebotarov
VCL Sys Eng, Engineering & Architectural Support, TSD - Ent Servers & Messaging
223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
Phone: (703) 993-6175 | Fax: (703) 993-3404

Re: VCL usage statistics

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Josh

Thank you - no need to change anything.
I'm trying to use Total Hours number to estimate cost if we ran VCL workload in a "pay-by-hour" public cloud.

Re: VCL usage statistics

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Henry,

For larger installs, I would agree that it doesn't really matter much.  I was
thinking it would help smaller installs a little more.

Josh

On Monday, September 29, 2014 9:42:51 AM Henry Schaffer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>
>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dmitri,
> >
> > The duration of all reservations during the time period is summed as
> >
> > $totalhours += ($length / 3600);
> >
> > Then, the value for Total Hours Used is printed as
> >
> > (int)$totalhours
> >
> > which would give total hours used truncated down to the nearest hour.  I
> > could
> > change that to be round($totalhours) to round it to the nearest hour if
> > people
> > think that would be better (I'm inclined to say round() would be better).
>
>   Since this is usually a large number compared to the unit of 1 hour, I
> don't think it makes a significant difference. (E.g. for the past week of
> NC State use we have "Total Hours Used:6057 - does it make any difference
> if that was rounded to 6058?)
>
>   Still, I agree that rounding would be a bit better since it means "the
> nearest number of hours."
>
> --henry
>
> > Josh
> >
> > On Friday, September 26, 2014 6:40:01 PM Dmitri Chebotarov wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How does VCL track usage for Statistics page?
> > > I'm interested in "Total Hours Used" field. Does it round time to
> > > nearest
> > > hour or does it log number of minutes/seconds image was in use? I.e. if
> > > image was in use for 24 minutes would it log 1 hour or 24 minutes ?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Dmitri Chebotarov
> > > VCL Sys Eng, Engineering & Architectural Support, TSD - Ent Servers &
> > > Messaging 223 Aquia Building, Ffx, MSN: 1B5
> > > Phone: (703) 993-6175 | Fax: (703) 993-3404
> >
> > - --
> > - -------------------------------
> > Josh Thompson
> > VCL Developer
> > North Carolina State University
> >
> > my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
> >
> > All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> > are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> > Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
- --

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL usage statistics

Posted by Henry Schaffer <he...@ncsu.edu>.