Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Pavel Zaitsev <pa...@md5.ca> on 2001/09/18 01:34:04 UTC

new developer

Hi,
I am would like to participate in 2.0 development, whatever I can do.
However I wonder if there cookbook style page, on 2.0 or apache development
in general, where I can learn how to post patches, extract them from
my code? I see people posting patches all the time, they assume that patches
work? I am not talking about patches in particular, but conventions in place
that would make my patches be applied, that is if they are correct and work
and would not be dismissed because of my language.
thanks,
	pavel

--
Research causes cancer in rats.
110461387

Re: new developer

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 04:34:04PM -0700, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
> Hi,
> I am would like to participate in 2.0 development, whatever I can do.
> However I wonder if there cookbook style page, on 2.0 or apache development
> in general, where I can learn how to post patches, extract them from
> my code? I see people posting patches all the time, they assume that patches
> work? I am not talking about patches in particular, but conventions in place
> that would make my patches be applied, that is if they are correct and work
> and would not be dismissed because of my language.
> thanks,
> 	pavel

Welcome.  Check out:

http://dev.apache.org/

More specifically:

http://dev.apache.org/patches.html

Hope this helps.  Good luck.  =-)  -- justin

Re: new developer

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I am would like to participate in 2.0 development,

Welcome, neat.

 > whatever I can do.

Generally people work on what interests them, or you can look in
the STATUS file for things what need attention.

 > However I wonder if there cookbook style page, on 2.0 or apache development
 > in general,

Not that I know of, people start writing one, but bringing it to closure
is hard.

 > where I can learn how to post patches,

you post them here.  The recomended ritual is to get your copy of
the sources using CVS.  "cvs diff -u" will generate the patch
in a format approprate to submit.

 > peopl ... they assume that patches
 > work?

we like to think people who submit patches test them agains current
source before they submit them.   But people with commit rights
are careful to review them before apply them to the master copy.

Be prepared for some constructive critique when you submit patches.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

 - ben