Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by solruser2 <so...@trashymail.com> on 2008/01/08 18:57:51 UTC

Fuzziness with DisMaxRequestHandler

Is there any way to make the DisMaxRequestHandler a bit more forgiving with
user queries, I'm only getting results when the user enters a close to
perfect match. I'd like to allow near matches if possible, but I'm not sure
how to add something like this when special query syntax isn't allowed.

Re: Fuzziness with DisMaxRequestHandler

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Is there any way to make the DisMaxRequestHandler a bit more forgiving with
: user queries, I'm only getting results when the user enters a close to
: perfect match. I'd like to allow near matches if possible, but I'm not sure
: how to add something like this when special query syntax isn't allowed.

the principle goal of dismax was to leave "query string" syntax as simple
as possible, and move the mechanisms for controlling the "query structure"
into other paramaters.

the idea of making Queries Fuzzy is an interesting one ... it's something
i don't remember anyone ever asking about before, and i'd never really
considered it (from a UI perspective i find "did you mean" style
spellchecking to be a better approach then making a user's query
implicitly fuzzy) but it seems like it would be pretty easy to add support
for something ...  one approach qould be to add a numeric "fuzz"
parameter, that if set would make the DisMaxQUeryParser return
FuzzyQueries in place of TermQueries ... an alternate appraoch would be to
allow per field fuzziness by tweaking the "qf" syntax so instead of just
fieldA^4 where 4 is the boost value, you could have fieldA^4~0.8 where 4
is the boost value and 0.8 is the fuzziness factor

I haven't thought about it hard enough to have an opinion about which
would make more sense ... but the overall idea certainly seems like it
could be a usefull feature if osmeone wants to submit a patch.

-Hoss