Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/09/20 18:41:57 UTC

Dropping Support for .NET CF 1.0 and SSCLI 1.0 in log4net 1.2.11

Hi all,

sorry for the cross-post but I'd like to catch "oh no, you can't do
that!" responses as soon as possible.

Apart from a few documentation and packaging issues Apache log4net
1.2.11 seems to be pretty much ready for a release.  One thing that is
holding up the process is the - let's say dated - build environment
required to build all target binaries.

So far I've been able to set up a machine with all SDKs that are freely
available - what I'm still missing are the .NET Compact Framework 1.0
and SSCLI 1.0.

It seems as if CF 1.0 requires an installation of Visual Studio (2003,
likely) while it was sufficient to install the .NET 2.0 SDK in order to
build the CF 2.0 assemblies.  For SSCLI I can find the sources but it
requires Visual C++ to build.

So before I try to find Visual Studio 2003 - and accept that you can't
build a log4net release without an IDE you have to pay for - I thought I
might simply ask if anybody was opposed to have log4net 1.2.11 simply
strike the two platforms.

We will poll users for future directions later, so please let us limit
this thread to the two frameworks in question.

Stefan

Re: Dropping Support for .NET CF 1.0 and SSCLI 1.0 in log4net 1.2.11

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
On 09/20/2011 06:41 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> So before I try to find Visual Studio 2003 - and accept that you can't
> build a log4net release without an IDE you have to pay for - I thought I
> might simply ask if anybody was opposed to have log4net 1.2.11 simply
> strike the two platforms.

+1

But we should probably remark in the README and at the download page
that we could put some effort into providing the binaries if someone
really needs them.
--
Dominik Psenner
## OpenPGP Key Signature #################################

Re: Dropping Support for .NET CF 1.0 and SSCLI 1.0 in log4net 1.2.11

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-09-20, Richard Pennenga wrote:

> As long as support for .NET 1.1 is preserved... ok by me.

Yes, it is still possible to download the 1.1 SDK so this is covered
(I've even been provided with a .NET 1.0 SDK).

Posted by "Knittel, Bruno" <Br...@bruker-biospin.de>.
As long as .NET CF 2 still supported everything is fine for me.
Thanks for asking.

Bruno Knittel
ENH / Firmware Development
Bruker BioSpin GmbH
Silberstreifen
76287 Rheinstetten, Germany
 Phone: +49 721 5161-6064
 Fax:     +49 721 5161-6494
  bruno.knittel@bruker-biospin.de
  www.bruker.com

Bruker BioSpin GmbH: Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Rheinstetten, HRB 102368 Amtsgericht Mannheim
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Jörg Laukien, Dr. Bernd Gewiese, Dr. Gerhard Roth, Dr. Wulf-Ingo Jung

Diese E-Mail und alle Anlagen können Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse, oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail und aller Anlagen ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender und löschen/vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail und alle Anlagen. Vielen Dank.

This message and any attachments may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it and its attachments is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender immediately and delete/destroy the original message and any copies. Thank you.

>>It seems as if CF 1.0 requires an installation of Visual Studio (2003,
>>likely)...... accept that you can't build a log4net release without an
IDE you have to pay for

Given that VS merely invokes the C# compiler with appropriate arguments, can you not do a build with a set of scripts (eg bat files)? Failing that, what about SharpDevelop?

Just some ideas..

Neil Haughton

As long as support for .NET 1.1 is preserved... ok by me.

Richard J. Pennenga
Software Developer

Angel Medical Systems, Inc.
T:  732-542-5551 x110
F:  732-542-5560
rpennenga@angel-med.com
www.angel-med.com

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-09-21, Neil Haughton wrote:

>>> It seems as if CF 1.0 requires an installation of Visual Studio
>>> (2003, likely)...... accept that you can't build a log4net release
>>> without an IDE you have to pay for

> Given that VS merely invokes the C# compiler with appropriate arguments,
> can you not do a build with a set of scripts (eg bat files)? Failing
> that, what about SharpDevelop?

The problem is not the scripting - NAnt does fine here - but that the C#
compiler and libraries required to do development for .NET Compact
Framework 1.0 are not available at all outside of Visual Studio.

This has changed for CF 2.0.  You can build CF 2.0 libraries using the
"vanilla" 2.0 .NET SDK.

Posted by Neil Haughton <Ne...@autoscribe.co.uk>.
PMFBI,

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Luis Ferro <ki...@gmail.com>.
Suport for .Net CF1 is ended:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1634081/until-when-is-net-compact-framework-1-0-supported

So supporting a defunct platform is a bit waste of resources imho...

But anyway, last time i used .NET CF was around 2004/5...

Cheers,
LF