Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> on 2010/06/30 01:25:44 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Remove commercial tasks from Ant

The results of the vote are in. Both motions passed.

The motion to drop the commercial tasks from the binary release of Ant
had 13 +1 votes for almost all the commercial tasks, and no -1 votes.
The one exception was the Server Deploy subtasks, which Gilles voted +0
on, resulting in 12 +1 votes and 1 +0 vote. Stefan also expressed some
concern about the complexity of moving them to Antlibs. We should
probably discuss how to move these separately now that their removal has
been approved.

The motion to move the tasks into their own Antlibs had 10 +1 votes and
3 +0 votes with no -1 votes. This motion also passes.

Votes came from Stefan, Gilles, Jesse, Jan, Kevin, Dominique, Antoine,
Matt, Conor, myself, Peter, Martijn, and Maarten,

The next step I'd like to take is to contact all the companies that make
the commercial software whose tasks we are removing. With any luck some
of them will take over responsibility for the tasks. It will take me a
while to do this, though (I've just recently changed cities so my life
is in a bit of upheaval) so if anyone wants to help out, particularly if
they have connections in some of the organizations involved, please let
me know and we can coordinate things.

Once we have alerted the parties involved about the change, we can start
removing the tasks and creating new Antlibs in the sandbox. Are there
targets available anywhere to facilitate the creation of standard new
Antlibs?

Re: Contacting vendors

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
On 06/07/2010 1:57 AM, Kevin Jackson wrote:
> How about adding that of course the customers can continue to use the
> current version of Ant as is with the tasks integrated and that it
> will only affect people that use the latest versions (ok my wording is
> crappy, but to let them know that we're not dropping support from the
> current version, just for future development)

Good point. I'll add that.

Re: Contacting vendors

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> Sure. How about this as a first attempt. Feedback and suggestions
>> appreciated.

How about adding that of course the customers can continue to use the
current version of Ant as is with the tasks integrated and that it
will only affect people that use the latest versions (ok my wording is
crappy, but to let them know that we're not dropping support from the
current version, just for future development)

Kev

Re: Contacting vendors

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-07-01, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> On 30/06/2010 4:43 AM, Jan Matèrne wrote:
>> Could you provide a mail 'template' we could use?
>> I could try to contact the Synergy-people at IBM.

> Sure. How about this as a first attempt. Feedback and suggestions
> appreciated.

"I am not a native speaker" disclaimer - looks good to me.

Stefan

Contacting vendors (was [RESULT][VOTE] Remove commercial tasks from Ant)

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

--

On behalf of the Apache Ant Project, I am writing to let you know that
the Ant development team has recently voted to remove all commercial

We recognize that dropping these tasks will have a negative impact on
your customers. We therefore suggest that your organization take over
development, maintenance, and release of the code for these tasks. If
you do so we will provide a pointer on the Ant site indicating where
people can find these tasks on your web site, thereby easing the
transition for your customers.

If you are unable or unwilling to take over responsibility for these
tasks, we will try to move them into an unsupported Ant Library. How
long this will take is unknown, and the results are unlikely to work
correctly since we lack the ability to test them. It will be left to
your customers to try to figure out how to make the library work.

We plan to remove the tasks September 1st. Please let us know what your
intentions are prior to that date so that we can plan accordingly.

Thank you.

AW: [RESULT][VOTE] Remove commercial tasks from Ant

Posted by Jan Matèrne <ap...@materne.de>.
> The next step I'd like to take is to contact all the companies that make
> the commercial software whose tasks we are removing. With any luck some
> of them will take over responsibility for the tasks. It will take me a
> while to do this, though (I've just recently changed cities so my life
> is in a bit of upheaval) so if anyone wants to help out, particularly
> if they have connections in some of the organizations involved, please let
> me know and we can coordinate things.

Could you provide a mail 'template' we could use?
I could try to contact the Synergy-people at IBM.

> Once we have alerted the parties involved about the change, we can start
> removing the tasks and creating new Antlibs in the sandbox. Are there
> targets available anywhere to facilitate the creation of standard new
> Antlibs?

It seems that the buildfile of the Antlib-root [1] could help.
Not sure if it is uptodate ...

Jan

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/sandbox/antlibs/build.xml