Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/10 01:39:15 UTC

Generating Eclipse .project/.classpath files, was: Re: svn commit: r739245 - /tuscany/java/sca/modules/core/pom.xml

The fix introduced some problems for the samples and itests which are not OSGi bundles if we run "mvn -Peclipse" from the "sca" folder.

What we had before for the "eclipse" profile was as follows:

1) For the "modules", the maven-eclipse-plugin was skipped and our maven-bundle-plugin created the .project/.classpath files to be PDE friendly.
2) For other things such as "samples" and "itest", the maven-eclipse-plugin was used to produce the normal .project/.classpath files.
3) mvn -Peclipse and mvn -Peclipse eclipse:eclipse were the same

Anyway, I enhanced the tuscany-maven-bundle-plugin to work with non-OSGi projects. For the latest trunk, we can run mvn -Peclipse for both OSGi and JSE projects.

BTW, "mvn eclipse:eclipse" should be discouraged as it will generate Eclipse projects which do not leverage the PDE validation of the OSGi constraints.

For the name of the profile, we can rename it to "pde" if it helps.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
Doh. Yup that fixes it, thanks.

  ...ant

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

BTW, "mvn eclipse:eclipse" should be discouraged as it will generate Eclipse
> projects which do not leverage the PDE validation of the OSGi constraints.

At the end of the day its none of our business what people use as their
personal development environment be it Eclipse or Eclipse PDE, or IDEA, or
notepad, or something else.  When someone makes a change or submits a patch
and the OSGi manifest isn't quite right then we can just help get it fixed.
OSGi adds a significant learning curve for people wanting to help develop
Tuscany so whatever we can do to make this easier is a good thing IMHO.
Having the standard approaches which people are more likely to be familiar
with such as "mvn eclipse:eclipse"  working will help with this.

For the name of the profile, we can rename it to "pde" if it helps.

Sounds good, pde seems like a better name than eclipse to me

   ...ant