Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/07 15:55:43 UTC

FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Hi all,

in preparation to the FreeMarker project's graduation, it would be useful
to prepare the Project Maturity Model Assessment.

For more information on the Project Maturity Model see:
http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

This is an example of the answers provided by a project that is under
graduation vote now:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+Project+Maturity+Model

This is not mandatory, but I think that taking time to diligently complete
the answers may be useful for this project both as an internal assessment
and as a document that we will share to the Incubator PMC when they will be
called to vote for the graduation.

What do you think?
Any volunteer to create a page in our wiki that we could use to work at the
document together?

Kind regards,

Jacopo

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Saturday, January 21, 2017, 11:39:36 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Michael and I did our first pass at the Project's Maturity Model document:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FREEMARKER/Apache+Freemarker+Project+Maturity+Model
>
> I think it is pretty much complete and clearly shows that this project is
> based on healthy foundations and governed according to The Apache Way.
> It would be nice if any of you could help adding some more details to the
> questions LC20 and LC30, and in general your comments/edits are welcome!

I have added this to LC20:

  FreeMarker 2 has no mandatory runtime dependencies. FreeMarker 3
  requires slf4j-api (MIT license).

It's only the mandatory runtime dependencies though. Should we list
the dependencies required for compilation too?

Also, I have replaced "Freemarker" with "FreeMarker" everywhere.

> Thanks,
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have created a wiki page (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/KBUIB)
>> inspired by the Apache ranger example and added the first responses for a
>> start.
>>
>> Feel free to add, edit, remark. Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> Am 07.01.17 um 16:55 schrieb Jacopo Cappellato:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> in preparation to the FreeMarker project's graduation, it would be useful
>>> to prepare the Project Maturity Model Assessment.
>>>
>>> For more information on the Project Maturity Model see:
>>> http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
>>>
>>> This is an example of the answers provided by a project that is under
>>> graduation vote now:
>>>
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+
>>> Ranger+Project+Maturity+Model
>>>
>>> This is not mandatory, but I think that taking time to diligently complete
>>> the answers may be useful for this project both as an internal assessment
>>> and as a document that we will share to the Incubator PMC when they will
>>> be
>>> called to vote for the graduation.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>> Any volunteer to create a page in our wiki that we could use to work at
>>> the
>>> document together?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 23/01/2017 � 16:00, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> I have just went ahead and published what you have written on the site
>> (with some minor edits).
>>
>> The related pages:
>> http://freemarker.org/report-security-vulnerabilities.html
>> And I have also added this:
>> http://freemarker.org/committer-howto.html#handle-security-vulnerabilities
>>
>> I have also updated the wiki page to to refer to these under QU30, and
>> set its status to YES.
>>
> Thanks, they look great to me.
>
> Jacopo

+1

Jacques

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, January 23, 2017, 8:45:14 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>

>> Thanks! But, do all PMC members get a notification if there's a mail
>> waiting for moderation at private@freemarker.i.a.o? Does somebody know
>> that (or else I will try it)?
>>

> Only the mailing list moderators will receive the message and I am not sure
> who they are currently. I think I am (I think I have received some
> "moderator" email from private@freemarker) and you should too.
> We should ask Infra about the list of moderators for our three lists and
> also ask them to update it with the people that are volunteering for this
> task.
> And we can also ask infra to setup a security@freemarker list.
> But we could also proceed with the above two steps right after a successful
> graduation when FreeMarker will be a full-fledged top level project.
> What do you think?

I have just went ahead and published what you have written on the site
(with some minor edits).

The related pages:
http://freemarker.org/report-security-vulnerabilities.html
And I have also added this:
http://freemarker.org/committer-howto.html#handle-security-vulnerabilities

I have also updated the wiki page to to refer to these under QU30, and
set its status to YES.

Of course, we can refine this later if there's a need.

> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> Monday, January 23, 2017, 4:18:47 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
> > Oh yes, I see the same when I open the page in a different browser!
> Please
> > ignore and thanks.
>
> Am... I still find this a bit worrisome. Why the other browser has
> this problem? What if you press Ctrl+R there?

Yes, I did ti without luck. I have sent you a personal mail with the
screenshot attached to it (attachments are not allowed  in this mailing
list).

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, January 23, 2017, 4:18:47 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Oh yes, I see the same when I open the page in a different browser! Please
> ignore and thanks.

Am... I still find this a bit worrisome. Why the other browser has
this problem? What if you press Ctrl+R there?

> Jacopo
>
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>
>> Monday, January 23, 2017, 4:00:06 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

>> > Weird... do you see the link under the COMMUNITY group in the left bar?
>>
>> Yes, it looks like this:
>>
>> Community
>>
>>     Report bugs
>>     Bugs still in the old tracker
>>     Report security vulnerability
>>     Ask help on Stack Overflow
>>
>> > Jacopo
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, January 23, 2017, 4:00:06 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>

>> I don't know, it's visible for me. Maybe you haven't waited for the
>> publishing commit, or it's a browser cache issue?
>>

> Weird... do you see the link under the COMMUNITY group in the left bar?

Yes, it looks like this:

Community

    Report bugs
    Bugs still in the old tracker
    Report security vulnerability
    Ask help on Stack Overflow

> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, January 23, 2017, 3:28:22 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> thanks for your commit. I have noticed that there is no link to the new
> security page in the left bar but it used to generate one when I tested in
> my local box. Is it intentional or I am missing something?

I don't know, it's visible for me. Maybe you haven't waited for the
publishing commit, or it's a browser cache issue?

> Jacopo
>
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
> jacopo.cappellato@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks! But, do all PMC members get a notification if there's a mail
>>> waiting for moderation at private@freemarker.i.a.o? Does somebody know
>>> that (or else I will try it)?
>>>

>> Only the mailing list moderators will receive the message and I am not
>> sure who they are currently. I think I am (I think I have received some
>> "moderator" email from private@freemarker) and you should too.
>> We should ask Infra about the list of moderators for our three lists and
>> also ask them to update it with the people that are volunteering for this
>> task.
>> And we can also ask infra to setup a security@freemarker list.
>> But we could also proceed with the above two steps right after a
>> successful graduation when FreeMarker will be a full-fledged top level
>> project.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Sunday, January 22, 2017, 5:05:58 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>

>> Though it's still a good point that we should say something to the
>> users... Right now, the best they can do is figuring out who the key
>> personal are, and write to them privately.
>>

> This is a good point: I have created a pull request in which I propose a
> simple page to describe how to report security vulnerabilities.

Thanks! But, do all PMC members get a notification if there's a mail
waiting for moderation at private@freemarker.i.a.o? Does somebody know
that (or else I will try it)?

> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Saturday, January 21, 2017, 3:41:53 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>

>> For QU30 we can easily ask infra to create a security ML.
>> For the wiki page at least a link to http://www.apache.org/security
>> /#vulnerability-handling would help.
>>

> We could, but we can also postpone this decision, even after graduation: in
> fact it is not mandatory at all to have all questions resolved positively.

Though it's still a good point that we should say something to the
users... Right now, the best they can do is figuring out who the key
personal are, and write to them privately.

> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> [...]

Note that for instance OFBiz only links to its security ML from
> http://www.apache.org/security/projects.html
>
> BTW out of subject and it's maybe late for OFBiz (was not a requirement
> then), but why not creating a such page for OFBiz (I already suggested so
> months ago w/o answers)?

Jacques, may I ask you to not discuss OFBiz in this list?

Thank you

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Well done guys!

I have yet not much to say about LC20/LC30 but I'll have a look

For QU30 we can easily ask infra to create a security ML.
For the wiki page at least a link to http://www.apache.org/security/#vulnerability-handling would help.
Note that for instance OFBiz only links to its security ML from http://www.apache.org/security/projects.html

BTW out of subject and it's maybe late for OFBiz (was not a requirement then), but why not creating a such page for OFBiz (I already suggested so
months ago w/o answers)?

Jacques

Le 21/01/2017 � 11:39, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.
What about the github pages / wiki? Would bring code and documentation
close together.

Am 07.01.2017 7:17 nachm. schrieb "Jacques Le Roux" <

--
Synesty GmbH
Moritz-von-Rohr-Str. 1a

Geschäftsführer: Christoph Rüger
Unternehmenssitz: Jena
Handelsregister B beim Amtsgericht: Jena
Handelsregister-Nummer: HRB 508766
Ust-IdNr.: DE287564982

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
As far as I'm concerned, just let's go ahead with Confluence (I was
the one who had expressed doubts regarding Confluence, that's why I'm
saying this now.)

Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 11:07:46 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm just picking this up as I didn't see any next steps regarding the wiki.
>
> If people prefer using confluence then we can easily ask infra to
> get one setup. Do you want me to make the request?
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 2017-01-07 23:04 (+0100), Jacques Le Roux
> <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
>> The Confluence version at the ASF works well now. It's a reliable WYSIWG version.
>>
>> One of the big advantages of Confluence is it allows finely grained permissions. This is not only useful with spam.
>>
>> Another advantage is it has, even at the ASF, a lot of available plugins
>>
>> This said it can be sometimes a bit slow, and creating long complicated page can turn to a be nightmare especially if you put a lot of images. At
>> least now you never lose anything, it has a very good automated versionning system...
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> PS: I don't think anybody is a Confluence huge fan ;)
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1adaf03b52c34de6a3502a9bab2f8c27548071d2105aeac41f11ccf4@1432806673@%3Cuser.ofbiz.apache.org%3E
>>

>> Le 07/01/2017 \ufffd 20:36, Daniel Dekany a \ufffdcrit :
>> > Does Confluence work well for developer topics though? Because I guess
>> > we will want to use it for FM3. I had to use it on workplace, a
>> > relatively old version, and it was a nightmare because it gets
>> > confused by the odd stuff we programmers write... and yes, there are
>> > some escaping rules and all, but over all it wasn't practical to use,
>> > plus it was buggy... though yet again maybe nowadays it's better.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
In case it helps, in Beam (recently graduated) did a quite good work on
that aspect: https://beam.apache.org/contribute/maturity-model/

The place (svn/git/confluence/moinmoin/etc) does not matter at all; the
content it the important thing.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Jacques Le Roux <

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The Confluence version at the ASF works well now. It's a reliable WYSIWG version.

One of the big advantages of Confluence is it allows finely grained permissions. This is not only useful with spam.

Another advantage is it has, even at the ASF, a lot of available plugins

This said it can be sometimes a bit slow, and creating long complicated page can turn to a be nightmare especially if you put a lot of images. At
least now you never lose anything, it has a very good automated versionning system...

Jacques

PS: I don't think anybody is a Confluence huge fan ;)
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1adaf03b52c34de6a3502a9bab2f8c27548071d2105aeac41f11ccf4@1432806673@%3Cuser.ofbiz.apache.org%3E

Le 07/01/2017 � 20:36, Daniel Dekany a �crit :

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
I suggest to use a tool we have easy access to, which provides enough functionality to collaborate and can "grow" with the requirements. It think Confluence will fit these requirements (I'm not a big fan either).

Regards,
Michael

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.
What I am talking about at github is the wiki. But it needs to be enabled
first in the settings..
[image: Inline-Bild 2]

--
Christoph Rüger, Geschäftsführer
Synesty <https://synesty.com/> - Automatisierung, Schnittstellen, Datenfeeds

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Does Confluence work well for developer topics though? Because I guess
we will want to use it for FM3. I had to use it on workplace, a
relatively old version, and it was a nightmare because it gets
confused by the odd stuff we programmers write... and yes, there are
some escaping rules and all, but over all it wasn't practical to use,
plus it was buggy... though yet again maybe nowadays it's better.

Saturday, January 7, 2017, 7:17:07 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> I'd prefer Confluence as we have experience with it in the OFBiz team
>
> My 2cts
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 07/01/2017 � 18:49, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :
>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>>
>>> We have never requested a wiki from infra... so I as far as know we
>>> don't have it yet.
>>
>> Should we request one? It can be useful to work together on a shared
>> document like in this case. Suggestions/proposals/preferences?
>>
>> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Saturday, January 7, 2017, 6:41:12 PM, Michael Brohl wrote:

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> I would be happy to help setting up a wiki page for the maturity model.
>
> Where should we post this? At a first glance, I cannot find a wiki. Any
> hint is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 07.01.17 um 16:55 schrieb Jacopo Cappellato:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in preparation to the FreeMarker project's graduation, it would be useful
>> to prepare the Project Maturity Model Assessment.
>>
>> For more information on the Project Maturity Model see:
>> http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
>>
>> This is an example of the answers provided by a project that is under
>> graduation vote now:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RANGER/Apache+Ranger+Project+Maturity+Model
>>
>> This is not mandatory, but I think that taking time to diligently complete
>> the answers may be useful for this project both as an internal assessment
>> and as a document that we will share to the Incubator PMC when they will be
>> called to vote for the graduation.
>>
>> What do you think?
>> Any volunteer to create a page in our wiki that we could use to work at the
>> document together?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jacopo

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FreeMarker Project Maturity Model Assessment

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacopo,