Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <oo...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/05/09 20:44:31 UTC

Proposal to add Zookeeper as a new Hadoop subproject

I'd like to propose Zookeeper, which is a distributed coordination
service, roughly similar to Google's Chubby, as a new Hadoop
subproject. I think Zookeeper would be a great basis for both Map/
Reduce and HDFS high availability. The current version at http://
zookeeper.sourceforge.net/ was developed by Yahoo!, which will
provide a software grant to Apache.

-- Owen

Re: Proposal to add Zookeeper as a new Hadoop subproject

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> I'd like to propose Zookeeper, which is a distributed coordination
> service, roughly similar to Google's Chubby, as a new Hadoop subproject.
> I think Zookeeper would be a great basis for both Map/Reduce and HDFS
> high availability. The current version at
> http://zookeeper.sourceforge.net/ was developed by Yahoo!, which will
> provide a software grant to Apache.

+1 This would be great.  Since this will be governed by Hadoop's PMC and
be developed by Hadoop's existing community, I think you're right that
this need not go through the Incubator, that we can just import the code
through a software grant.

Doug

Re: Proposal to add Zookeeper as a new Hadoop subproject

Posted by phonechen <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--

Best Regards,

Yours
Phonechen

-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------

Re: Proposal to add Zookeeper as a new Hadoop subproject

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mi...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1.

- milind

On 5/9/08 12:41 PM, "Mukund Madhugiri" <mu...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> +1
> Mukund
>
> Owen O'Malley wrote:
>> I'd like to propose Zookeeper, which is a distributed coordination
>> service, roughly similar to Google's Chubby, as a new Hadoop
>> subproject. I think Zookeeper would be a great basis for both
>> Map/Reduce and HDFS high availability. The current version at
>> http://zookeeper.sourceforge.net/ was developed by Yahoo!, which will
>> provide a software grant to Apache.
>>
>> -- Owen

- Milind
--
Milind Bhandarkar,
(milindb@yahoo-inc.com)

Re: Proposal to add Zookeeper as a new Hadoop subproject

Posted by Mukund Madhugiri <mu...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1
Mukund

Posted by Enis Soztutar <en...@gmail.com>.