Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Tim Van Steenburgh <tv...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/17 17:55:15 UTC

Documenting Tool Permissions

I'm working on https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/5517/ . In documenting permissions, I'm finding places where things are not working as probably intended.

Consider the "save_searches", "configure", and "admin" permissions in the Tracker tool:
"save_searches" protects the individual methods on the BinController, but...
...user will not actually see the "Edit Searches" button in the sidebar unless he has the "configure" permission; however...
even with the "configure" permission, user will get a 403 when clicking on the "Edit Searches" button unless he also has the "admin" permission, b/c the BinController is mounted on the TrackerAdminController

I have two proposals:

Remove the "save_searches" permission and include "Edit Searches" in the "configure" permission
Move the BinController off the TrackerAdminController and onto the Tracker RootController

Anyone have thoughts on this, or objections?

--
Tim Van Steenburgh

Re: Documenting Tool Permissions

Posted by Chris Tsai <ct...@slashdotmedia.com>.
I actually took a stab at trying to document permissions a while ago, and ran into similar findings. The doc-in-progress I have is here: https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/community-docs/Project%20Permissions/

And here's the ticket I submitted based on the similar inconsistencies I ran into: https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/6084/

--
Chris Tsai
SourceForge.net Support

Posted by Tim Van Steenburgh <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <db...@slashdotmedia.com>.
Sounds reasonable.  I don't remember exactly what "configure" gives access
for across all tools.  If it's fairly standard (e.g. accessing the admin
options for tools) then perhaps we'd want to keep it as that (although I
don't know what the difference between admin & configure would be then),
and keep save_searches as a separate perm since it's not an admin option
page.

--
Dave Brondsema
Principal Software Engineer - sourceforge.net