Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/24 19:09:15 UTC

more prominence for ASF activities?

Some of us just received a nice little summary from Melissa on the ASF's
activities at OSCON -- kudos to everyone on all this!

However, on looking at the ASF main home page, http://www.apache.org/,
events of any kind are not easily found. I'm wondering if a prominent
"Events" tab might be in order.

MzK

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved."
                           -- George MacDonald

Re: more prominence for ASF activities?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
We do have an events calendar but it us underused. It would be wonderful if
you could help improve things.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 25 July 2014 10:30, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree. The only link on the front page (homepage) of apache.org that
> comes in the neighbourhood of events is the conferences link. And this goes
> to a page that is shows a lot of information links, but not the events
> themselves. This page should be showing an overview of upcoming events
> (including conferences).
>
> I agree, having read some earlier discussions I had the feeling that the
event calendar was a bit "sacred" and that is required effort to get an
entry there.

It would be real super, if the calendar was both updated and available on a
prominent place.

> And I would say that the first upcoming (and rated as most important) event
> should have a nice image on the front page to click directly to that event.

I do agree with you, but it might be too much work to keep that updated
(considering how slow we oftern are with other information).

rgds
jan I.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>
>> I agree. The only link on the front page (homepage) of apache.org that
>> comes in the neighbourhood of events is the conferences link. And this goes
>> to a page that is shows a lot of information links, but not the events
>> themselves. This page should be showing an overview of upcoming events
>> (including conferences).
>

> We currently have a shared calendar for events, which various pages then
> pull in and display as lists or calendars, eg
> http://community.apache.org/calendars/index.html
> http://events.apache.org/event/calendar.html
>
> If you haven't got karma for the calendar but want it, just let us know your
> google id and someone'll grant you it
>

>> And I would say that the first upcoming (and rated as most important)
>> event
>> should have a nice image on the front page to click directly to that
>> event.
>

> I shouldn't be too much work to tweak the JS from one of those to also
> display a logo if there is one in the event details
>
> (These pages are all driven by a shared calendar, because the biggest
> problem found in the past was getting people to update it, so the easier it
> is to update the more likely it is to stay updated! That could be changed,
> but the new plan would need to be equally as simple...)
>
> Nick

Are we talking about events at which any Apache project shows up; or
are we talking about where the Foundation shows up? The former is
likely to be very significant. One of the projects I work on has
multiple events a month (meetup groups, exhibiting at events, etc).
There are a few similar projects. Meanwhile the Foundation has very
few events that it has an official presence at.

--David

Re: more prominence for ASF activities?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 07/25/2014 03:36 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I agree. The only link on the front page (homepage) of apache.org
>     <http://apache.org> that
>     comes in the neighbourhood of events is the conferences link. And
>     this goes
>     to a page that is shows a lot of information links, but not the events
>     themselves. This page should be showing an overview of upcoming events
>     (including conferences).
>
>     And I would say that the first upcoming (and rated as most
>     important) event
>     should have a nice image on the front page to click directly to that
>     event.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Pierre Smits
>
>     *ORRTIZ.COM <http://ORRTIZ.COM> <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
>     Services & Solutions for Cloud-
>     Based Manufacturing, Professional
>     Services and Retail & Trade
>     http://www.orrtiz.com
>

> I will happily submit a patch to add an "Events" tab after "Get
> Involved" at the top and for time being link it to the ApacheCon site.
> Whoever has karma will need to make it so. I don't know how many
> "events" ASF participates in aside from ApacheCon but if any of them are
> well known, for example OSCON,  I would think they deserve a mention. I,
> personally, do not keep up with this, but I'm sure someone does. So, I
> would propose an "Events" page to keep tract of some of these.
> "ApacheCon" would, of course, be one very important event.

OK, it looks like I can do this change myself to the main web site. Or,
not, if I just submit a patch -- let me know on this.

However, I *thought* there was an event link once upon a time, and it
turns out there is in fact http://events.apache.org/ but it hasn't been
maintained in a while. Any further thoughts on--

* putting Events back in the top navigation
* linking to this older Events page with the hope that it can be updated?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.