Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Roger Meier <ro...@bufferoverflow.ch> on 2015/06/01 23:08:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] conventional-changelog

Hi all

Have you seen this: https://www.npmjs.com/package/conventional-changelog

They introduced git commit conventions and generate the CHANGELOG.md
based on git commit log.
A very resourceful way!

Many projects started to adopt this pattern, e.g.
*
https://github.com/mozilla/fxa-content-server/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#git-commit-guidelines
* https://github.com/mozilla/fxa-content-server/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

What do you think about this?

cheers
roger

Re: [DISCUSS] conventional-changelog

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Currently our CHANGELOG is built off from our jira backlog using the
fixVersion field. This makes it easy to track what tickets are in progress
with discussion and context as well as helps as a gauge to determine how
much work has gone into a given release. It also enables us to have
the CHANGELOG available in jira at [1] for all of our releases. Not 100%
tied to this flow, but would want to make sure that anything we investigate
using is able to provide us similar value and not add more steps in our
release process (which all ready has enough hoops to jump through)

-Jake

[1]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/thrift/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:changelog-panel