Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Young <ja...@inet.com> on 2002/09/18 17:00:23 UTC

Problem invoking CGIs that are EXE files

I have Tomcat 4.0.3 installed on a Solaris 8 box, and have been trying
to set up the CGI functionality. I have a 3rd party web application that
has binary executables, all of which are named <filename>.exe. Don't get
me started on why a unix binary would have an ".exe" file extension...

The problem is that Tomcat is always returning the binary to the
browser, instead of executing it. Simply changing the extension of the
binary to ".sh" (renaming the binary) will cause Tomcat to actually
execute it. However, I would like to not have to modify this 3rd party
app, since much of their HTML references these cgi's...

I cannot see a difference in my configuration that would cause Tomcat to
work correctly with ".sh" files, and not ".exe" files. My cgi servlet
mapping should be causing the execution of all files that match the
/cgi-bin/* pattern.

Are there just some file extensions that Tomcat will not try to execute?
I looked at the source code, and couldn't find any reference to ".exe"
files that would exclude them from execution...

Thanks for any help or insight into this matter!

Jason Young

Inet Technologies, Inc.
1500 N Greenville Ave
Richardson, TX 75081