Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sven Braun <co...@googlemail.com> on 2007/09/21 12:59:24 UTC

Tomcat and webdav in general [Beginner]

Hello everyone,

I'm just working my way into webdav and have been succesfully using the
webdav servlet of tomcat just by using Windows Explorer to create a
webfolder.

However I'm still confused the way webdav can be used.

I'll soon begin working (after researching for days) on a project for an
already existing and running CMS iimplementing webdav so that users can take
advantage of the webdav features, like locking, copying and so one.

I have no knowledge of the CMS being used at all, what I know is that it
runs with tomcat.

So right now I don't know where and how to start off really and what I need
to work with.

The data or document files/folders should be received or displayed in a
dynamic way using Java.

So, I'm wondering if I need to create a whole new webdav-servlet or if that
dynamic way is possible at all?

Since I cant install any open-source CMS that might support webdav I have no
real picture of how these work together. Maybe you can recommend some so
that I can try them at home.

Perhaps you can point out a way to help me understand how everything
interacts because right now I look at webdav like it needs to be enabled
under Network Ressources and then one uses a Client like WindowsExplorer,
DAVExplorer or SkunkDav which can't be the way the CMS should work.

I have plenty more questions but I think with some of your answers these
should decrease.

Thanks alot!!!

Sven Braun

Re: Tomcat and webdav in general [Beginner]

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Sven Braun wrote:
> Alright I got some more information about the cms structure. One doesn't have
> access to the actual files but to a database (well, I don't). Which is even
> more confusing.
> So I was told to find a way to represent that data-tree creating a program
> that could look at the db-structure to be used with webdav.
>
> Do you have any idea how or if this can be achieved? Or is it necessary to
> actually mount the root directory and not a db?
>
> I've installed Slide which works fine but I don't know how to deal with that
> underlying data structure mentioned above.

Caveat: I know next to nothing about slide...

Slide is probably the way to go. I think you will need to implement the
various store interfaces to make your data accessible via Slide. You
might have better luck on the Slide users list although I am not sure
how active that list is.

Mark

Re: Tomcat and webdav in general [Beginner]

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sven Braun <co...@googlemail.com>.
Alright I got some more information about the cms structure. One doesn't have
access to the actual files but to a database (well, I don't). Which is even
more confusing.
So I was told to find a way to represent that data-tree creating a program
that could look at the db-structure to be used with webdav.

Do you have any idea how or if this can be achieved? Or is it necessary to
actually mount the root directory and not a db?

I've installed Slide which works fine but I don't know how to deal with that
underlying data structure mentioned above.

Do you perhaps know of any cms that works that way, so I could inspect it?

thanks again!!!

Posted by Sven Braun <co...@googlemail.com>.
Hello again,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.