Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Abhijeet Anand <ab...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/19 21:50:15 UTC

Incorporate site level change (Adding Widgets)

Hi,

I am the administrator of a multi user blog site powered by roller.Users on
my site can create there individual blogs.

Now I have a requirement where in I want to incorporate site level change
(effecting all the blogs on this site).
To be specific I want to incorporate 2 widgets, which I want should be
available at the frontpage of each blog,
irrespective of the template which the user has for his blog.
Could somebody provide me information on how to achieve this..?
The only direction which I can think of is to manually going and changing
the templates (themes) to incorporate this,
at the same time restricting the users to customize the themes, but I am not
sure is this the right way.

The site is still not live, its in the testing phase, but I would very well
like this feature to be available on my site before I go live.
I would appreciate any comments from all.

--
Thanks

Abhijeet
e-mail: abhijeet.anand@gmail.com

Re: Incorporate site level change (Adding Widgets)

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
If you google for OpenSocial, you should find Google's site on
OpenSocial. Basically, it's a JavaScript API that makes it possible
for people to create "social applications" (for FaceBook, LinkedIn,
Orkurt, etc.) and publish them to an "open social container".

If you need a widget that doesn't need interactivity in the form of
saving information, you could probably roll-your-own and use an
include mechanism to put it on all blogs. You could use an iframe or
a JavaScript script that writes out what you want to display to the
user. It doesn't sound like you need to gather any information from
Roller's database in this widget - do you?

Matt

Posted by Abhijeet Anand <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.