Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Frans Knibbe <fr...@geodan.nl> on 2006/03/08 15:58:01 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_cache: CacheDefaultExpire is ignored?

Hello,

I use apache 2.0.55 on Windows and I am experiencing a problem using
mod_cache.

It is my intention to use a memory cache for images produced by a CGI
program. Here is the relevant bit of httpd.conf:

<IfModule mod_cache.c>
  LoadModule mem_cache_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so
  <IfModule mod_mem_cache.c>
    CacheDefaultExpire 86400
    CacheEnable mem /
    MCacheSize 4096
    MCacheMaxObjectCount 10000
    MCacheMinObjectSize 1
    MCacheMaxObjectSize 104857600
    MCacheMaxStreamingBuffer 104857600
    MCacheSize 409600
  </IfModule>
</IfModule>

If I let Apache log debug information, I can see that caching is active.
Some caching takes place, but not the images I want cached. In that
case,  something like this is reported:

[Wed Mar 08 14:09:11 2006] [debug] mod_cache.c(446): cache: <request>
not cached. Reason: Query string present but no expires header

There is no expiration time in the header, that is true, but shouldn't
CacheDefaultExpire be used in that case? In the documentation it says:
"The CacheDefaultExpire directive specifies a default time, in seconds,
to cache a document if neither an expiry date nor last-modified date are
provided with the document". So if there is no expires header the expiry
time should be set to one day (86400 seconds) in this case, right?

Am I overlooking something? How can I get caching to work?

Thanks in advance,

Frans Knibbe