Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/03 23:01:31 UTC

RE: OpenOffice.org Apache Incubator Proposal - Dependency License Clash

I've lost the thread on this, but I thought that one observation was about the dependencies in OpenOffice.org (and LibreOffice.org) on material from other sources and not necessarily under the same license.   In that regard, there may be a difference among some of those in terms of what is considered LGPL/GPL friendly and what is considered Apache 2.0 friendly.  The current contributors to LibreOffice code are asked to affirm that their contribution is an MPL/LGPL dual if they have not already done so as part of a submission.

For assessment of this situation, both distributions have maintained the Sun Microsystem practice of including a THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html at the top-level of the install location.  I am sure these are on-line somewhere in the web view of their code bases, but I've given up looking.  (In SVN I can find stuff.  In git, not so much.)  The attachment is the one that came with the LibreOffice 3.3.2 stable release for Windows.

 - Dennis

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> I've lost the thread on this,

it's noisy and open :-)

(but it's good to factor out new threads with good subjects)

> but I thought that one observation was about the dependencies in OpenOffice.org (and LibreOffice.org) on material from other sources and not necessarily under the same license.   In that regard, there may be a difference among some of those in terms of what is considered LGPL/GPL friendly and what is considered Apache 2.0 friendly.  The current contributors to LibreOffice code are asked to affirm that their contribution is an MPL/LGPL dual if they have not already done so as part of a submission.
>
> For assessment of this situation, both distributions have maintained the Sun Microsystem practice of including a THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html at the top-level of the install location.  I am sure these are on-line somewhere in the web view of their code bases, but I've given up looking.  (In SVN I can find stuff.  In git, not so much.)  The attachment is the one that came with the LibreOffice 3.3.2 stable release for Windows.

I expect (hopefully people will jump in to correct my mistakes) that a
software grant [1] will be used. I expect that this will specify a
particular artifact, most likely a compressed archive containing
source and stuff. I expect due diligence and legal sign-off from the
Oracle's internal teams before this happens.

It's a bit frustrating but until that lands, it's hard to be sure
what's going to be in until it lands...

Robert

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt