Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de> on 2017/04/11 12:24:31 UTC

Re: Smart Pointers

Guten Tag Robert Middleton,
am Freitag, 20. Januar 2017 um 03:41 schrieben Sie:

> git link:
> https://github.com/rm5248/log4cxx-testing/tree/smart_pointers

Now that we have a GIT repo, how do we deal with your branch? Are you
able to fork the new GitHub mirror and apply your changes easily again
in the fork? From my understanding you are only afterwards able to
create a PR on GitHub.

Alternatively I need to add your repo as a remote in my repo and
merge directly I guess?

I think a somewhat "official" PR from a fork of you against the new
mirror would be cleanest solution.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Smart Pointers

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
I can make a new fork and do the PR.  There are still a few things
that I need to check though; I think I figured out why the original
code had the special log4cxx casting macros.  Apparently the
dynamic_cast doesn't always work across shared library boundaries, so
that could cause a problem.  Some of the code is also a little
inconsistent at the moment and should be more standardized(I changed
the casting about halfway through).

I would like to do this after an actual release though, as since it
touches pretty much everything I wouldn't want to break code for
anybody who is using a current SVN version, since there are a lot of
fixes for current bugs in SVN(well, git now).

-Robert Middleton