Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de> on 2006/08/23 22:11:10 UTC

Announcement: WebWork 2.2.3 released!

OpenSymphony and the WebWork team are proud to announce the release of
WebWork version 2.2.3.
WebWork 2.2.3 is mainly a bugfix release with some additions, improvements
and backports from Struts 2.0.

    * Release notes
(http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/wikidocs/WebWork%202.2.3.html)
    * Changelog
(http://jira.opensymphony.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10030&fixfor=21640)
    * Download here (http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork/download.action)

Thanks to the entire WebWork team for all their hard work, especially
during the past couple of months.

This release will be the last of the 2.2 series and we want to thank the
entire OpenSymphony community for all their work, contributions,
suggestions and comments in the past years.

All developer efforts will now concentrate on Apache Struts Action 2.0
which will form the next generation of action based web frameworks.

The WebWork Development Team

Re: Announcement: WebWork 2.2.3 released!

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/24/06, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.  I expect the audience I'm presentation to to be familiar with
> Struts 1.x.  I'm sure it's good to do an intro to Struts 2.0 as well,
> but overall I'd like to have them leave a 1.5 hour presentation with
> the knowledge they need to convert a Struts 1.x app, as well as
> greenfield a Struts 2.0 application.  Migrating an existing project in
> real-time is a good idea/demonstration.

If it helps, you can compare versions of the MailReader, since we have
one for Struts 1.3 and Struts 2.0. If you try that, I'd suggest
starting with revision 423340 for the S2 version, since the head has
been refactored for wildcards. (Though that should work for Struts 1.3
too.) If you follow the S2 Mailreader revisions all the way back, you
can see it go from S1 to WW2 and then from WW2 to S2.

* http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/struts/struts2/trunk/apps/mailreader/src/main/?pathrev=423340

I still have a few updates to make to the S2 documentation before I
get back to the migration guide myself, and my "3-hour tour" probably
won't be ready in time for your presentation.

If you are interested, in the sandbox, there are a series of training
labs where we build the MailReader from scratch, if that helps with
the "greenfield" portion.

* http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/struts/sandbox/trunk/mailreader-course/struts2/

The initial lab is hello and then welcome. The complete list is here:

* http://StrutsUniversity.org/Migrating+to+Struts+2#MigratingtoStruts2-CourseOutline

-Ted.

Re: Announcement: WebWork 2.2.3 released!

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > I'm hoping to upgrade AppFuse from WW to the latest Struts 2.0.0
> > > snapshot this week. I'm starting a presentation on "Migrating from
> > > Struts 1 to Struts 2" next week.  Has anyone started such a document?
> > > I'd be happy to contribute.
> >
> > Not as such. The release notes have more about migrating from WW2 to
> > S2 than from S1 to S2.
> >
> > * http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/migration-guide.html
> >
> > There are a lot of 1:1 comparisons and places where you can change
> > things over with a quick search/replace. You don't have to rework the
> > application architecture or logic, but there are a lot of simple code
> > changes, which is to say code simplifications.
>
> In my five-day class last week, we spent most of the time covering
> Struts 2 from the ground-up, and I made comparisons to Struts 1 along
> the way. The course uses the MailReader as a running example. On day
> five, after we had built our own Struts 2 MailReader, we went back to
> the Struts 1 version. We deployed the Struts 1 MailReader WAR, and
> then started converting it to Struts 2, page by page. We got a good
> start, and it really helped show how the versions differ.
>
> For my "three-hour tour" at ApacheCon US, I was thinking of covering
> the high-points, and then go to work on converting the MailReader,
> page by page. (Encouraging people to follow along on their own
> laptops.)
>
> During the high-points presentation, I thought we might show a
> struts-config.xml and then the same thing as a struts.xml
> configuration. Ditto for the Actions and pages. After covering the
> basics, we could spend the rest of the time migrating the MailReader,
> live and direct.
>
> Is that the sort of thing you had in mind, Matt?

Yes.  I expect the audience I'm presentation to to be familiar with
Struts 1.x.  I'm sure it's good to do an intro to Struts 2.0 as well,
but overall I'd like to have them leave a 1.5 hour presentation with
the knowledge they need to convert a Struts 1.x app, as well as
greenfield a Struts 2.0 application.  Migrating an existing project in
real-time is a good idea/demonstration.

Matt

Posted by Jason Carreira <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
> On 8/23/06, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> In my five-day class last week, we spent most of the
> time covering
> Struts 2 from the ground-up, and I made comparisons
> to Struts 1 along
> the way. The course uses the MailReader as a running
> example. On day
> five, after we had built our own Struts 2 MailReader,
> we went back to
> the Struts 1 version. We deployed the Struts 1
> MailReader WAR, and
> then started converting it to Struts 2, page by page.
> We got a good
> start, and it really helped show how the versions
> differ.

How many people did you get in your class? Just wondering how popular it is so far...

Re: Announcement: WebWork 2.2.3 released!

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/23/06, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Are all these bug fixes going into Struts 2.0.0?  I'm assuming yes.

I believe most already have.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
2 Questions:

1) Is this available on a Maven 2 repo?  I'd love to run some quick
tests to make sure it works with AppFuse.