Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu> on 2002/08/27 18:43:16 UTC

Java FTP and Tomcat

Does anyone know if there is a FTP connector(?) for Tomcat?

If not, is it something that's doable with Tomcat?

Regards
-Jacob

---

Re: Java FTP and Tomcat

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Does anyone know if there is a FTP connector(?) for Tomcat?
>
> If not, is it something that's doable with Tomcat?

FTP, as a protocol, is stateful. In other words, you login to the server and until you log out, you have an FTP session. HTTP is stateless. There is no login/logout. There are emulations of those concepts: authentication and session creation, but they are implemented either per request (auth in HTTP headers) or a simulation (session in cookies or URL rewriting).

The only thing that would seam doable with Tomcat is support for FTP URLs through HTTP request, something like:

"GET ftp://my.host.domain.com/pub/apps/pgsql.jar HTTP/1.1"

BUT, there is a problem with this. :-) RFC explicitely states that all HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 clients should issue absolute URLs only when talking to a proxy. So, the answer is NO, unless you want to be a general purpose FTP proxy.

Nix.