Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Wolfgang Reissenberger <wr...@debis.com> on 2000/07/17 10:47:45 UTC

Javac task

Is it possible, to set compiler options directly in the JAVAC task? I
have the following two problems:

1. The compiler has run out of memory:
   Compiling 990 source files to
E:\home\zv247\Projekte\GFNo1\src\Design\classes
   The compiler has run out of memory.  Consider using the
"-J-mx<number>" command
   line option to increase the maximum heap size.

2. Using jikes:
   Jikes does not have the -Xdepend flag set by default in contrast to
javac. I would like to set this flag manually.

Maybe the javac tag should be extended by an "options" attribute.

Wolfgang

Re: Javac task

Posted by Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>.
Define JAVACMD to be "java -mx1024m" or whatever it needs
to be. Then when you start Ant, the JVM will use this
parameter, and the javac (which runs in Ant's JVM) will
benefit.

RE: Javac task

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.
>  WR> 1. The compiler has run out of memory:
>
> Ant runs javac inside the same VM - so just specify more memory to the
> VM when starting Ant (either hack ant.bat or start Ant manually using
> the -mx or -Xmx option).

There is no need to hack ant.bat. Just set the environment variable JAVACMD
to whatever you want to use and then run ant. It will automatically use this
to invoke ant's virtual machine.

Tio increae memory you can use this

set JAVACMD=java -Xmx256m

The same thing should work on Unix (with the appropriate syntax bits and
pieces)

Conor

Re: Javac task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 WR> Is it possible, to set compiler options directly in the JAVAC
 WR> task?

Not yet, sorry.

 WR> 1. The compiler has run out of memory:

Ant runs javac inside the same VM - so just specify more memory to the
VM when starting Ant (either hack ant.bat or start Ant manually using
the -mx or -Xmx option).

Stefan