Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> on 2004/09/24 08:10:10 UTC

Where is the 3.0.1 branch?

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/spamassassin/branches/?root=Apache-SVN
only shows b2* and 3.0 branches. Do we have a 3.0.1 branch? How do we do
review and checkin for 3.0.1?

  -- sidney

Re: Where is the 3.0.1 branch?

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> writes:

> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/spamassassin/branches/?root=Apache-SVN
> only shows b2* and 3.0 branches. Do we have a 3.0.1 branch?

Yes, the "3.0" branch is shared for all 3.0.x releases.  Previously, we
named branches after the first release on that branch (hence b2_3_0,
b2_4_0, b2_5_0, and b2_6_0), but we decided to name future branches
"3.0", "3.1", etc.

> How do we do review and checkin for 3.0.1?

The "3.0" branch is still in R-T-C mode.  Basically, you attach a patch
to a bug with a 3.0.1 milestone, get it reviewed, and commit on the
branch.  You can check out the branch like:

  $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.0

and then everything just works like normal.

As far as handling bugs that need to be applied to both trees, there's
two generally accepted ways:

  1. Open a bug against trunk, note that it's against both trunk and
     3.0.0, initially set milestone to 3.1.0, after fixing in 3.1.0,
     change milestone to 3.0.1 and do the R-T-C thing.

  2. Open two bugs, one for each milestone.  Later, as trunk and 3.0.x
     diverge, this is more common.

Sometimes a bug is opened on 3.0.1 and later moves to trunk.  That can
be okay too, but it's less common since you usually want to test out a
fix on trunk first.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     ApacheCon! 13-17 November (3 SpamAssassin
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/  http://www.apachecon.com/  sessions & more)