Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by pieber <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 21:19:48 UTC

Re: Wicket and OSGi

Hey,

Sorry that I jump in so late, but it needed some time to spread the news of
this list if you're not a subscriber of the wicket user list :)

I've taken up the development of pax-wicket which is a framework for the
integration of wicket to the osgi platform. While pax-wicket provides
various other features at it's core we've solved the classloader,
serialization and injection (spring & blueprint). While most of you may
already know about pax-wicket
(http://ops4j1.jira.com/wiki/display/paxwicket/Pax+Wicket and
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.wicket) there had been LOTS of
changes in the last months and it is much easier to use by now! OK, with
that said back to the problem at hand.

@WICKET-3737: We've used a similar approach as you've described. We
automatically attache Classresolver and InjectionResolver services to each
bundle and delegate the classloading to the bundle which contains the class.
This also allows to use classes not exported :) In fact you use case is
quite simple to implement with pax-wicket.

@SpringWicket annotation: We use the same approach as you've described. The
only difference is that we extend the model a little bit further to allow
import from the blueprint AND spring context from one bundle. Otherwise we
limit the import to the bundle creating the blueprint or spring context.

Feel free to give it a look. I've registered again and stay here and at the
pax lists for help and further infos :) I'm also available in the wicket and
pax IRC channels (pieber). Feel free to ping me.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Re: Wicket and OSGi

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Martin,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Good work!

Thank you :)

> Do you have any plans to upgrade PAX-Wicket to Wicket 1.5 ?
> I saw that you have custom Output|Input ObjectStream impls.
> In Wicket 1.5 IObjectStreamFactory class is gone, so you'll need to
> use the new ISerializer interface.

Definitely. I know that there are some infrastructural changes in 1.5
which means that there will be a pax-wicket release for 1.4.x and one
for 1.5.x. TBH I'm not sure right now how I want to tackle this.
Either aligning the major (major.minor.micro) version to the
pax-wicket or provide two complete different versions (0.8.0.w15 and
0.8.0.w14). Anyhow I will provide a 1.5 compatible version within the
next 1-2 months.

> For more info you can check
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.5-parent/gae-initializer-parent/gae-initializer/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/gae
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/master/jdk-1.6-parent/serializer-kryo
>
> The GAE code is exactly what you'll need to do for PAX.

Thank you very much for those pointers. This does not look as it would
create any big problems if added to the pax-wicket model.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Re: Wicket and OSGi

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Andreas,

Good work!

Re: Wicket and OSGi

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Harald,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Harald Wellmann <ha...@gmx.de> wrote:
> thanks for providing the pointers and the brand new intro in the Pax Wicket
> wiki.

I'm very sorry for the lack of documentation. But I planed to get it
done, provide the documentation and do the project marketing then. I
missed to recognize the BIG need for pax-wicket. Sorry for that.

> This is now at least something to get started, and I'm beginning to see that
> there is some overlap with wicket-osgi or even the chance of wicket-osgi
> becoming obsolete in the near future as Pax Wicket matures or just shifts
> its priorities a little from hacking to documenting all its goodies ;-)

You're highly welcomed to work out the problems with us together. I
would be very happy if I don't have to document everything from
top-to-bottom but could rather start at your special needs and extend
pax-wicket and the documentation where required. Any idea/discussion
on IRC/lists is highly welcomed. In addition, as typical for ops4j
projects, anyone is welcomed to create an account and start
hacking/writing docs :)

> Some points after a very quick first look and comparison:
>
> - Pax Wicket head does not compile
> (https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWICKET-164)

Not true :) This is really a JDK bug. If you upgrade to the latest JDK
version it works.

> - Pax Wicket is based on Wicket 1.4.17, wicket-osgi on 1.5-SNAPSHOT

True for the moment. But I don't think that the upgrade will cost that
much and most of the user base is still on 1.4.x. In fact it is
possible to port your existing 1.4.x wicket app (typically) within
hours. I did this to several of the apps at my company and it worked
like a charm.

> - Wicket 1.4.17 uses DynamicImport-Package: * - are you sure Pax Wicket
> would work without that?

I'm because we do NOT use the standard wicket packages. We pack wicket
into the pax-wicket package and reexport them. If you're familiar with
the maven-bundle-plugin feel free to take a look here
(https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.wicket/blob/master/service/pom.xml)
and see what I mean.

> - The official Wicket 1.5 artifacts are not OSGi friendly, so if you upgrade
> Pax Wicket to 1.5, you'd have to use wicket-bundle from Wicketstuff, just
> like wicket-osgi. (Of course, I'd much prefer the Wicket core project to
> provide properly osgified artifacts without split packages and dynamic
> imports so we could scrap wicket-bundle...)

I'm completely with you. Since it doesn't make much sense to use a
different wicket version than pax-wicket I like our current approach
to repack all libs directly in pax-wicket. But I've no problem to be
convinced to use the wicketstuff wicket bundles or adapted wicket core
packages.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Re: Wicket and OSGi