Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/08 13:19:34 UTC

Incoming code: The Big Move to 1.0.0

Hi all,

I'm just about to commit the big change which moves most Aries components
to 1.0.0 bundle and package versions. You may need to do a full rebuild,
starting with parent and eva-maven-plugin, to populate your maven repo.

I've left some components I judged to be pre-1.0.0 at their current
versions. I also think jmx will need revisiting once jmx-next is merged
across. Even so, there were a lot of changes, so I undoubtedly got some
things wrong! Please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions or if
you think it all just looks terrible.

Holly

Re: Incoming code: The Big Move to 1.0.0

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
On 8 May 2012 12:19, Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just about to commit the big change which moves most Aries components
> to 1.0.0 bundle and package versions. You may need to do a full rebuild,
> starting with parent and eva-maven-plugin, to populate your maven repo.
>
> I've left some components I judged to be pre-1.0.0 at their current
> versions. I also think jmx will need revisiting once jmx-next is merged
> across. Even so, there were a lot of changes, so I undoubtedly got some
> things wrong! Please let me know if you spot any errors or omissions or if
> you think it all just looks terrible.

Sounds good to me Holly! I'll get in touch sometime next week re JMX.

Cheers,

David

Re: Incoming code: The Big Move to 1.0.0

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

I was very grateful you asked about the package versions! It was while
I was checking the answer to your question that I discovered that
trunk still had the old package versions, because of my snafu with the
merge. At the moment all the packages are actually now at 1.0.0,
except for two 0.1.0 packages in subsystems which were committed after
I did my original branch. Mixing 1.0.0 and 0.1.0 isn't ideal, and I
agree we should have a discussion about what versions we should be
using for those components. I don't think we should include spi-fly or
subsystems in the current release, so we can have that discussion
concurrently with the release work.

Once I've got the parent components released, I'll start work on the
main release. My original intention was to roll through releasing
bundles incrementally, but I'm now thinking that because of the
overhead of checking and voting on each release for pmc members, it
might be better to release everything in a big lump, at least this
time. Either way, my plan is to do everything except for spi-fly,
subsystems, jmx-next, and everything in sandbox. Are there any others
which aren't ready for release?

These are the work items I think should be done before the release:

Guillaume's bug fixes
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-827 - ARIES-778 broke the
ability to use a composite bundles isolation implementation on equinox
3.7
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-845 - Transaction wrapper
doesn't work on Java 5
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-853 - Switch parent
dependencies to 1.0.0 from 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-837 - Modify default of
Export-EJB: header to be ALL when empty string

Any I've missed?

We also want to run the compliance tests.

Holly

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Hi David,

[comments inline]

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM, David Bosschaert
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just making sure, are you planning to release the current JMX
> implementation as part of 1.0 as well?
> I think it would be good to do so, shortly after we can then put the
> jmx-next code in place and release that as a 1.1 or something.
>
> WDYT?

I think that's a good plan. I had vaguely assumed we wouldn't want to
release JMX since the jmx-next work was queued up to go. Thinking
about it, releasing the current implementation as 1.0.0 and then
moving to 1.1 once we've switched to jmx-next is much better.

Holly

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Holly,

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Comments inline.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 14, 2012, at 4:40 AM, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:

> Holly,
>
> Have we addressed the utils defect that includes a list of things that are
> required for a 1.0 release? Also the RecursiveBundleTracker behaves
> differently if you run on an R4.3 framework to an R4.2 framework. It
> doesn't work with our application isolation model (which it was designed to
> do) and works differently if we had a resolver hook isolation
> implementation (if we don't). I think that needs to be resolved. Having it
> behave weirdly isn't good.

Is there a description somewhere of what this differing behavior is and how you want it to work?  IIRC when I introduced the resolver hook support I figured that if you were on a 4.3 framework you wouldn't have the non-spec composite bundles so using only the resolver hooks would be ok.  I guess this isn't quite accurate -- I think the equinox 4.3 releases also include composite bundle support.  Do you think that on equinox 4.3 both composite bundles and resolver hooks should be supported without any configuration?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
Holly,

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: Incoming code: The Big Move to 1.0.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Guillaume Nodet