Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Matt K <in...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/06 06:03:50 UTC

Counter batches query

Hi,

I have an application that does batch (counter) writes to multiple CFs. The
application itself is multi-threaded and I'm using C* 1.2.2 and Astyanax
driver. Could someone share insights on:

1) When I see the cluster write throughput graph in opscenter, the number
is not reflective of actual number of writes. For example: If I issue a
single batch write ( internally have 5 mutation ), is the opscenter/JMX
cluster/node writes suppose to indicate 1 or 5 ? ( I would assume 5 )

2) I read that from C* 1.2.x, there is atomic counter batches which can
cause 30% performance hit - wondering if this applicable to existing thrift
based clients like Astyanax/Hector and if so, what is the way to turn it
off? Any server side settings too?

Thanks!

Re: Counter batches query

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
For #1 Storage Proxy (server wide) metrics are per request, so 1 in your example. CF level metrics are per row, so 5 in your example.

Not sure what graph you were looking at in ops centre, probably best to ask on here http://www.datastax.com/support-forums/

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant